Sansamp Bass Driver into a PA. Do I really need an amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fender32, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    I'll be honest, I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to live and studio work. I mostly play at home (for kicks) and have only recorded into Cubase SE.

Now, I'm finally getting it together to hang up my headphones and get out there and make some NOISE! :bassist:

:help: The question is:

Will a Tech 21 SansAmp Programmable Bass Driver plugged directly into the rehearsal room's PA, give a better range and quality of tone than using the output from my Hartke Kickback 120w amp & Bass POD combination? Or, is the SansAmp not really designed to be used in this way?

As I said, a bit of a "newbie" question, but I can't think of a better bunch of people to answer it (as none of you will be trying to sell me something, like they would be in my local music store). :eyebrow:

By the way, I'll be playing indie/rock style music using a '70's P Bass and a StingRay and, tone-wise, I want to bring out the bite and growl of these two bad boys.

All views welcome! :smug:
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would say use the SansAmp for a DI, but use the amp for your own personal monitoring. That usually tends to be the best setup. Not many people can afford to have just a DI, since monitors are usually less than ideal.
  3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Depends on your PA...

If you like the sound of your bass+sansamp thru the PA and you and the audience can both hear your bass adequately, then you've got it going on.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it really really depends on the pa.

first and formost, are the monitors going to be able to handle the bass and are you and the other muscicians going to be able to hear you well enough? monitors are generally the weakest link in a pa.

after that's settled, you can look to see if the mains will handle the bass and if the overall power of the pa will be adequate for you.
  5. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Do you own the PA you use in the rehersal room, or do you rent space at a place with a PA? Most "house" PA's in the rental rehersal places I have used are not great quality and the management gets PISSED if you run bass guitar or a kick drum through them.

Do you want this specifically for rehersal, or are you also looking for something to use for gigs?

a lot of guys go dierect to a PA for live use with things like the sansamp, but I can't phrase it much better than lo-freq

"Depends on your PA...

If you like the sound of your bass+sansamp thru the PA and you and the audience can both hear your bass adequately, then you've got it going on."
  6. Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Thanks for all of your advice guys.

Yes, it is a PA belonging to the rehearsal studios and, as luck would have it, I've found another solution to the problem.

Risky as it may sound, one of the other bands that uses the room (good friends of our drummer) have agreed to let me use their bass amp (a large Laney of some description). This will be a big improvement over my Hartke, as it's 10" speaker does bark a bit with an active StingRay at high volume (despite it's 120w).

As it happens, I've ordered the programmable SansAmp anyway, as it should be useful quick switching between favourite sounds.