1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sansamp bass driver or little mark 2?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by funker, Sep 14, 2008.

1. funker

funker Guest

May 2, 2008
    hey, right now i'm looking to buy a key piece for my rig which right now is a peavey 115 combo and the bass is unimportant ( but its a fender p customized to the limit)
    i wanted to get some nice tube sounds and i dont have alot of money.
    the other day i played the little mark two and you can get great sounds with the wpf or whatever controls. i wanted to know if i could get them with the bass driver.

could somebody (preferably someone who owns both the effect and the head) help out a brother here?

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I don't own a Little Mark II, but I've played around with all the Markbass stuff extensively at my local shop. In my opinion, these two products are going to give you very different results. The Little Mark II is warm, clear and punchy, and while it can get a somewhat vintage sound with the VLE, it is much more of a presence/tone knob than a tube sound.

The SansAmp is a tube emulator and it can do a very convincing job of making most rigs sound pretty close to an SVT.

I imagine that the two COULD cover the same ground (crank the VLE on the Little Mark and turn down the presence and gain and up the bass on the BDDI) but really they do different things.

Honestly, each one's strength is the other one's weakness. The Little Mark is clear and transparent but doesn't really do growly or tubey and the SansAmp does great tubey grit but really colors your tone.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    LMII. Not a fan of the Bass Driver. Love the VT, but the Bass Driver didn't impress me with its "tube" tones. Yeah, the LMII is clean, but it's the most tubey sounding SS or hybrid on the market.

4. Any MarkBass amp plus any of the SansAmp products for bass. I'd probably get the Programmable Bass Driver DI for starters. Or, if you put the LittleMark in a rack, get the RBI or RPM and use it in the effects loop of the LM.

You'll finde some very interesting threads covering the SansAmp products in this forum!

5. honestly, i think that the sansamp bass driver sounds like a SS amp with an overloaded input! Hardly any sort of distortion at all. If you want fuzz get something else.

6. LowG

LowG Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    I find that I can get much more distortion out of the Sansamp if I push the front end of it hard. I often use a volume boost of any sort before it to get real distortion. Maybe my and your basses just have low output.

7. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    i own both..

theyre two opposite things, so owning both would be really versatile. the sansamp is tube world, but the LMII is as clean as it gets..

if your tight on cash the sansamp is a lot cheaper, but id get the markbass if it was possible.

8. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    Get the behringer BDi21, only 30$ and it sounds exactly like the Sansamp BDDI :) That's if you want to use it just as a pedal! I'm convinced my bdi21 won't last forever, behringer is a **** company, but this pedal really rocks equally as much as the BDDI! and for 30 $, you can't go wrong with it :)

9. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    No it doesn't.

There was a thread with a blind comparison between the two. Check it out.

10. Sifl

Sifl

May 14, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I use both. I use the Sansamp to add a little grit to the amp. I use the amp to boost the mids, since the BDDI doesn't have a dedicated mid control. I'm happy with my tone.

11. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    I did, c'mon man you can hardly tell the difference! and for the price!

I should not have used the word "exactly", but it is pretty damn close. And I actually thought the behringer sounded better in the first clip, so that's probably also why I bought it :)

12. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    That is because it's not advertised/marketed as a "distortion or fuzz pedal", thus the name "driver".

13. The Bass Driver is the most versatile piece of equipment in limited collection of bass equipment. It's the one constant in my setup.

14. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    So there was enough difference for you to notice. ;)

15. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    Well, yes :spit: :p but I would have been just as happy with the BDDI as the BDi21, sound-wise.