Sansamp Bass Driver, PodXT or V-amp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by addylewis, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Sansamp Bass Driver

2. Line 6 Pod XT

3. Behringer V-amp

1. Which do you think has the best sound quality?
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    What are you looking to do? The Sansamp is preamp/od only, the others do effects and modelling.
    So, it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison.
    If you're looking on purely as a stomp preamp, I'd say the sansamp
  3. If your needing the extra effects the sansamp
  4. Maybe they are different things, but aren't the V-amp and POD acting as a preamp if you plug them in between your bass and bass amp? - I'm not including the effects, but am the amp mods in respect of a preamp...
  5. you are correct they would be acting as a preamp but that's not what they are usefull for. if you want one sound ie set it and leave it the sansamp is the kind of thing you're looking for. the pod and v-amp do lots of different sounds and models and really are useful for using a wide variety of sounds but not nessesarily great for one sound. i've found the sansamp most useful. if you want a preamp to power a power amp you might wanna look elsewere.
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    exactly, that's where I was coming from
  7. I have a BassPod and I don't think I have ever been as disappointed in any piece of equipment I have ever owned. I also bought the pedal (which cost as much as the BP) and found to my chagrin that it really wasn't designed for live play. THe amp models are fair for DI studio stuff, but for live play it didn't work well for me at all. What do you want for $500+...
    I have an older (antique by now) Peavey Bass FEX unit with the propreitary pedal that feeds power through the special midi cable... and it is much more useable live for my tastes. You just have to make sure the volumes of the patches are mastered to the same volume levels, which they weren't when I bought it.
    That with my old KING VOX wah wah is all I could ever use. but I'll keep looking for a new fangled unit that works better.
  8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Yup, Sansamp is a different piece of kit to the other two. But V-Amp and Pod are similar, except for the price.

I bought the Sansamp as a DI and I also liked the three programmable patches for on the fly changes playing live. It certainly beefs up the sound. Only had it two months but it looks like a fixture.

I wanted a Pod (our guitarist loves his) but thought they were overpriced and was pleased to hear about the V-Amp (actually Bass V-Amp Pro) as an alternative. It's a nice piece of gear. The first one I had played up (occasional signal cut outs) but Behringer replaced it and the new one seems fine. I use the amp modelling to get a wider range of sounds out of my fairly hi-fi hartke rig and this setup gives me great results. I hardly use the effects section, but I'm not much of an effects guy. I have to say the effects aren't great, though. The amp and cab modelling is excellent, however, as are other features like tuner/denoiser, etc. I plug my bass into the Sansamp, this goes into my Hartke 5000 head and the V-Amp is in the send/return loop of the Hartke. This works great for me, I'm happy! :D