1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sansamp Bass Driver Programmable DI issues

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bigtoughsimmo, Aug 21, 2016.

1. bigtoughsimmo

bigtoughsimmo

Aug 21, 2016
    Hi all long time lurker first time poster here. I'm having some issues tonally with my Sansamp Bass Driver DI getting a nice mid range warmth? It seems no matter what I try there is always a noticeable midrange scoop resulting in a very woofy, almost numetal sound. There's no mid control on this version, does anyone know any tricks to get mids back in? Even with everything on 12 oclock there's a noticeable dip in mids. I can't even seem to get it all back with EQ on my bass (stingray) or graphic EQ on my amp.

Attached Files:

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Yup, I also hate the built-in "scoop". Dunno if anyone has come up with a mod for that? There is a mod for the Behringer BDI21.

bigtoughsimmo likes this.
  3. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    First, it is usually quite difficult if not impossible to increase the content of frequencies that have been removed/attenuated earlier in the signal chain - so your amp EQ won't help much. In fact, since the SamsAmp was designed with an inherent mid scoop, you will always have an uphill losing battle trying to add mids back "after the box" in my experience.

I usually keep the blend at around 10-12 O'clock (never higher, often a little lower), cut the bass and treble controls back to between 9-12 o'clock and then compensate for the gain loss with the level control. This will not totally change the tonal profile, but it tends to help a lot for me and many other folks. There are a number of threads on this you might want to check out.

Sending a signal to the box that is already a bit mid rich/heavy can also help. You can do that with EQ in a pedal or from your bass if it has a mid control. My Sterling has a three band EQ, not sure what you have on Stingray.

Here is the real key though..the scoop you hear is directly related to the amount of SansAmp affected tone you "blend" in with your dry signal. Just remember that with the blend control turned all the way down and the bass and treble controls at 12 o'clock you actually have essentially a flat signal (with a gain change depending on where the level control is set) coming out of the SansAmp. Once again, that mid scoop you are hearing was a tone shaping design goal that is going to be especially evident when you turn the blend up past 12 o'clock.

I hope that's helpful.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    bigtoughsimmo likes this.
  4. Marcelo Coip

Marcelo Coip

Sep 30, 2018
    Sansamp(MID SCOOP) + Stingray(MID SCOOP)= A LOT OF MID SCOOP

The VTDI can bring you other possibilities. I know this is 4 years old.

Hypercaffium likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021