Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp Bass Driver SABDDI bypass (audiophile) questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Yamarc, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I am currently using a Modulus Q5 (Barts) into an Avalon U5 and a crest power amp. I really dig my tone now, but want to get this pedal for reggae, slap, and p-funk sounds. My question is: Where in the signal chain should I put this? Is it a real bypass or does it suck out some of my tone in the process? If I put in in front of the avalon and have the bypass switched off (unit off) will it affect or darin my already great sound. The Avalon does not have an effect loop so I want to make sure that I get the most out of my original preamp while getting what the SABDDI offers also (luckily the U5 has a tone control defeat if I want to use the SABDDI alone). Regardless any inout on what to do or the effectiveness of the SABDDI's bypass would be most appreciated. (I am also considering an ernie ball volume pedal, wonder if I could get the one with the a/b switch and go from there? Hmmm...Thanks

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

If I had a rig like you describe I would put the SABDDI far enough away from the amp that no chord could reach. :D

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    He's right.

4. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    What do you mean? I don't want to use it all the time, just for certain sounds that the avalon cannot give me. (Dub Reggae, motown, etc.) I like a hi-fi sound but I doesn't cut it for everything I do, Marc

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The Sansamp has no hard bypass (AFAIK, correct me if I'm wrong).
    My suggestion would be using a loop switcher, which will give you an effects loop that you can put into or out of the signal chain. Some are even MIDI-controlled. Put it after the avalon and put the Sansamp into the loop.

6. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    When the SansAmp is disegaged, it reverts to operating as a "transparent" DI. (according to the literature that came with mine) Since every DI has it's own personality, I guess it depends on what you think about it with the SABD disengaged. And as mentioned earlier: I wish I had your tone dilemma!:D

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I think the coloration is minimal, but it's there. I would use a loop switch with your rig. I happen to really like the BDDI, but you may not want it all the time.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I don't notice any tone coloration when my SABDDI is bypassed. Might well be there, but I don't notice it.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I find it to be extremely slight. I have one of the oldest ones, so maybe after years of my care :D it's slightly broken?