Sansamp Bass Driver settings, what do you have?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by groov'ster, Dec 13, 2005.

1. I have picked up a sansamp bass driver and I love this thing. I used to run a head with a 4*10 cab up on the platform as my monitor, now I use the pedal to run straight into the mix using a wedge monitor as my monitor. This has me in good graces with the sound man but I just can't find the right settings for my sound.
    I am hoping that some of you who have had the sansamp for a while could give me some more options that I haven't tried yet. I have tried the recommended settings and they are pretty good but you see I am asking for advice.

BTW my bass is a Peavey Cirrus with SS strings and I play in the genre's of contemporary christian, old gospel, and new black gospel.
    Sometimes I want a smooth mellow sound, other times a lil drive, and again some slap / pop.
  2. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Not trying to be a dick, but just use your ears and spin the knobs. That's the only way you're going to get anything close to what you hear in your head. Personally, I never liked the pedal until I got the hang of the blend control. I was setting the blend to 100% and never got the more subtle nuances of the pedal. I could give you the knob setting that I like, but it would probably sound like crap with your rig since we use different gear.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
  4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    It is hard to generalize about settings because of the way the BDDI emulates tube drive. I use the Bassman setting from the manual as a starting point. Since the BDDI has a fixed-mid EQ you will be boosting the B&T to get some scoop, and cutting them to get mid boost. It sounds like you don't want much crunch so keep the drive low, make up the gain with the level.
  5. Oh I agree with Trial & Error 100% also and thats what I've been doing with it. I tend to like the Bassman setting as well and thats normally where I begin from also. The blend knob does offer a variety of sounds and I normally set it about 12:00.

I made a drastic change going from the rig setup to just the pedal and a monitor. This alone has thrown me off a little because the monitor has a 12" speaker with horn, compared to a 4*10 cab.
    It took me sometime to find my sound with the rig and it will for this also. I had hoped that some of you might be in the same situation and offer some ideas.
  6. This Sansamp stuff interests me, but I know nothing about them. How would a Sansamp DI fit into the signal chain in a typical live setup? Is it an overdrive or is it a DI, or both? :confused:

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    All that and more....The Sansamp come in 3 flavors, rackmounted RBI, the original BDDI, and now the new programmable BDDI. If you work a lot with sound or recording engineers, you've got to get one of these things...nice signal direct to the board and no amps to carry around, if you so choose.

When I experimented with the programmable, I put it after my VF-1 effects box. If I ever need just the Samsamp tones, I selected either "clean head" or "standard bass" on the VF-1 and ran clean signal to the BDDI.

I'm not a big pedal fan, but the versatility of the programmable means it'll be in my arsenal soon.

Hope that helps!
  8. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use the Fat Tube, SVT and Clean settings on my Programmable BDDI. I make minor changes, but basically it's stock.
  9. It sounds cool! Sorry if i'm being dumb, but I take it you can run a signal from your bass into the sansamp, then a DI from the Sansamp to the board, and then a seperate lead from the Sansamp to your amp (whatever it may be) on stage to use as a moniter?

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, but if you're going into the board, I'd try to have your amp monitor what mix the sound guy is giving the audience (run from the board to your amp, instead of from the Samsamp).