1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sansamp Bass Driver vs Darkglass Microtubes vs EHX bass soul food

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ronnie Nine, May 24, 2016.

1. Hey guys.
    I want an agressive, punchy, growly tone, JUST like the tone Rex has in the Floods solo (Please listen to it!)
    His bass literally roars like a lion, or a tiger, but still with a lot of treble. I want an OD which does that. Personally, I would stick to the Sansamp, because I'd rather use it more for tone shaping, for a much cleaner, nicer,scooped tone. But if there is an OD or dist pedal which roars like that, and keeps the treble, has a good blend option, and doesn't cost a fortune, I'm willing to buy one.

2. Didn't Rex use a MXR M-80? That might work?
    Brent

3. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

I read he also used an MXR Blowtorch at one point

4. The B3K and B7K have metal teeth.

Crystalman85 likes this.
  5. I was thinking about the M-80 myself. Can it dial a lot of distortion overdrive tones?
    I might buy the sansamp, and after a while, if I really need more distortion, the M-80 or Darkglass. No clue which one tho.

6. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Do yourself a favor and check out the Source Audio Aftershock, especially if you use it with their Neuro app. It can do anything

7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Two Notes Le Bass fits what you are describing. It has two blendable tube channels, one clean, one high gain, each with their own EQ. If you want clanky growly drive, it's hard to beat.

You may also like the VT Bass DI - very much like the Sansamp but more flexible and sounds better to me.

And as mentioned, the Aftershock - it has two Darkglass models built into it plus a ton of others, and you can run any two of these models in parallel (as well as clean blend on both). Still waiting for mine to arrive, but looks like a tweaker's delight. You should be able to get an angry clanky distortion in parallel with a warm tube drive to get the best of both worlds.

8. That aftershock idea sounds amazing. The fact that you can blend them. Can I find them in Europe tho? I mean all of the pedals mentioned above. And.. They're under 250 right..? :))

Edit: Just. Wow. The aftershock is relatively cheap. Do you say it sounds like rex? Like not much od but not farty, and bright as hell?
    The vt.. Im not sure of that, I really want to stick to the sansamp :/ as for the two notes.. That thing is CRUEL. And expensive af. Cannot afford it.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  9. collins81

collins81

Jul 29, 2011
    I have both the sans amp Para driver and the VMT Deluxe. At first I hated the VMT, and couldn't dial in a tone I was happy with until the "aha" moment and dialed in a good tone this past weekend at a gig. I now use both pedals simultaneously and independent of each other. The OD on the VMT is a little too much for the type of music I am playing, but the blend knob helps pull back a lot of the OD.

10. Thanks for your replies. I'm very curious about this Aftershock. They literally say you can get any distortion and OD out of it. If anyone owns it, Opinions please. I'm looking for an organic, zingy, growly (roar!) OD, where the Clean tone is dominant. Scooped. The aftershock looks awesome.. My next question would be.. I'd rather use the sansamp for clean tones. (All samples I heard, when they activate the sansamp, the bass literally comes alive, that's why I want to buy it.) is it worth getting the programable one? 22 euros difference, thats nothing, I'm more concerned about the size.. In my pedalboard.

11. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    If you can't get the tone you want from the Aftershock, it might be time to try playing drums. It's like two drive pedals in one box, and each has more EQ control than anything else out there. If you don't mind bending down to flick the toggle switch, you can have a clean preset and a dirty one (and one more for whatever you want).

Ronnie Nine likes this.
  12. Found another sample of the tone I want:

Fuzzbass likes this.
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

The Darkglass BxK will definitely get you there, especially that zingy attack on top of the grit, but from what I've read the Aftershock will too.

P.S. I also own and like the SansAmp BDDI and VT, and the Darkglass Vintage. But when I heard the AiC track I immediately thought of the B3K/B7K/B7K Ultra.

14. They say the Aftershock has actually Darkglass built in c: I'm happy I can achieve it with my upcoming pedal. (After the BDDI of course.)

15. Fuzzbass

That's one reason I said that the Aftershock could get you there. The other is that, if you have patience and the ability to understand those bazillion parameters, you can probably dial in the distortion tone(s) you want.

16. Fuzzbass

OBTW: I couldn't remember the tune you were referring to so I looked it up and found an iso bass track:

Ronnie Nine likes this.
  17. THIS IS IT! This is the tone (and the AiC) Which makes me want to use scooped, ampeg tones.
    Anyways, I think this is a D.I tone, because I highly suspect that there is some growly OD at the solo. In this track it's still clean and zingy.

18. Fuzzbass

The SansAmp pedals do the scooped Ampeg-style tones very well. Darkglass has a more modern take on that. But again, the Aftershock should also have that covered!

19. I hope so!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021