Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp Bass Driver VS EBS Multidrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by growlngrind, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Veteran TBers please direct me accordingly if this subject has been thoroughly discussed elsewhere.

I use my Sansamp Bass Driver for many different things, and I really love it. Mainly I am using it as an overdrive pedal to take my Ashdown over the edge when needed. Lately I have been hearing how great the EBS MultiDrive is. Has anyone here used both, and could you tell me whether or not it would be worth the money to get the MultiDrive as well? I don't plan on getting rid of the Sansamp, because it has so many other uses. I am just wondering if the overdrive of the EBS is better or worse in any way.

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I own a Sans Amp Bass Driver DI and have tested the EBS MultiDrive. Quite frankly, I bought the SABDDI because I wanted something quickly, but the EBS wasn't yet available.

I kinda like the SABDDI for its direct-box quality, but never really loved the way it colors your sound so much. The EBS is not True Bypass, by any means, but is much more flexible as an overdrive than the SABDDI.

I actually use a Fulltone BassDrive now. It doesn't get quite as overdriven as the EBS, but gets as crunchy as I ever need. Plus, it's true bypass and sounds AMAZING!:D

3. Thanks RAM. I never considered the Fulltone before. The coloration I get from the BDDI is something I would like to get away from. It really changes the sound of my amp more than I want it to, but I can live with it.

Please, you all include this pedal as well if you have any experience with two or more of them (Sansamp, EBS, or Fulltone).

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    growlngrind,
    there's been lots of discussion on these various pedals, if you search you'll find pages and pages worth of threads. If you look at the review mega thread at the top of the forum you'll find my thoughts on the Fulltone and EBS.
    Bottom line: I think the EBS does the mild overdrive slightly better than the Fulltone, but I'm not so keen on the other two modes. The Fulltone is more versatile and fits my needs for two channel od/distortion better.

I have a Sansamp, I rarely use the overdrive on it because of the tone coloration you mention.

5. Thanks David,

I'll check out those other reviews.