Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SansAmp: Bass Driver vs. Para-Driver vs. Classic...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassGod, Oct 26, 2005.

1. SansAmp Bass Driver

66.7%
  2. SansAmp Para-Driver

16.7%
  3. SansAmp Classic

16.7%
  1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'm really interested in buying a SansAmp for a grindy, slightly overdriven tone that won't drop me right out of the mix as soon as I step on it. The Bass Driver seems to be the most popular around here (duh) but the Para-Driver interests me in that it has a mid knob, and I've heard terrible things about the Bass Driver scooping all of the mids (and I have quite a mid-heavy tone). The Classic also interested me with all it's seemingly easy-to-use switches, which I assume would allow for more tone shaping capabilities, yes? So which would you choose: the Bass, Para, or Classic, and why?

Thanks,
    Graeme :bassist:

P.S. How much more expensive is the programmable unit over the other three I mentioned?

2. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    The mid scooped tone only happens in the 100% wet settings. keep a bit of the clean signal, don't boost the lows and highs to much and everything will be ok. I have been using my different SansAmps for a long time and I am a "Mids" fan too:)

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'd say the BBDI, but that's mostly because I have the most experience with it. If you want mid growl, here's what you do. Level 12 o'clock, blend at 2, lows at 10, highs at 10, and then take the gain up to about 2-3. Adjust level for unity gain, so if you happen to turn it off, your sound doesn't disappear. What I have noticed is that when you take down the bass and treble, the mids seem more pronounced by comparison, then I use the gain to bring it back up to normal output level (within reason, I don't use a drive sound generally).

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'd say para driver. The mid control lets you counteract the mid scooping that goes on with blend above 50%