Sansamp Bass Driver

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mxr255, Apr 26, 2004.

1. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    I am sorry if this question has already been posted.

I am slowy getting away from just plugging in my bass and going. I have added some effects and I am starting to get into the "sound" that my bass is producing. Not just low and loud.

What exactly does the Sansamp Bass Drive DI do and is it worth the money. I play in a rock/jazz/folk influenced band. Would it make my Carvin R600 sound better? Lets just put it that way. Thanks guys.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    OK. First the SABDDI isn't exactly an effect pedal. It's a combination of a preamp, DI, amp simulator, tube simulator, and cab simulator. IMO, it's well worth the money if you want what it does.

So what does it do? Depends on who you ask. I've been using mine as a preamp, either directly into a power amp, or with the 1/4" out going to my practice amp (for a stage monitor), and the XLR going to the board. I think it's actually designed more as an amp-simulating DI, but I haven't used it for that very much.

It's also not exactly a distortion box, but it can give you some nice overdrive. Again, this is a simulation of an overdriven amplifier and a lot of factors enter into the sound. The BDDI reacts differently to different basses, input levels, etc. A hot active bass can give you tons of overdrive, while a bass with a weak output will be hard to get much distortion from.

I haven't liked the SABDDI in front of a bass head (or combo or preamp). The sound can be thick and sludgy and boomy. I think this is partly because I have followed the Tech 21 instructions and had the blend way over to the right. I'm going to try it some more with the blend favoring the dry sound and see what happens.

Now, as to whether it will "improve" the sound of your R600, it really depends on what you would consider an improvement.

For me, the SABDDI has been a marvelously flexible preamp, capable of doing many things well.
  3. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    think flatwound just about covered it all. It is a nice thing to have if you get in the situation where you are gonna plug straight into a PA with no on-stage amp and with the different "outs" that it has, you can do just about anything you want via the BDDI. Great tool.
  4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I read a product description that says it can drive a power amp. Is this true? I have been considering either the Sansamp or the MXR-80. I have only tried the MXR-I have not been able to A/B the two. I have read all the posts on the subject and wondered if anyone had anything new to add? Sorry about the highjacking.
  5. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I just bought one and use it as a pre-amp and I'm extremely pleased. I got a Grestch 68' Superbass Amp, safe to say not much EQ work I can do with that amp. So this pedal helps me acheive a lot of sounds I never had, including helps me switch bass tones anytime I want. I can start smooth just with my amp, then dial in a funky tone with the pedal, neat use I think.