SansAmp Bassdriver D.I.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by liquid-dream-ex, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Hi!

I'm interested in buying this pedal. CAn anyone tell me if it'll be any good?

I'm looking for someone to spice up my sound a bit. I have an old Tube-Amp which is really not very versatile, except for one sound i don't get anything decent, so i'm in need for a preamp.

I also want to use some distortion, so im' in need for a distrotion Pedal.

I need a D.I. Box too, so i would find everything in the BassDriver.

Are there any alternatives for it? Any feedback will be appreciated.
  2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've got one and I think it's brilliant... although if you want a lot of distortion rather than a warm fuzz round the edges, you might be interested in the MXR-80 (? I think...) which is a similar DI / preamp box. I preferred the SABDDI but YMMV... :D

3. Tube amp not versitile? Ever think of having it serviced? Or re-tubed?

Honestly not trying to be jerky, but I think that's really where your efforts should be, to either get that amp to sound to its potential, be it thru service or getting to know it better, vs. putting a bandaid on it.

What kind of tube amp is it?

FWIW, I use a BassDriver in line with my SVT just to tighten up the low end a tad. I think it's a brilliant stand-alone box, and very useful. Don't think the distortion sounds good at all, very pro-co rat-like.
  4. It's a big old fat ugly heavy tube-amp made by an austrian company in the 70ies. It has two channels (bass/organ) and exactly three knobs for each channel... Volume, BAss and Treble.

I don't really want fuzzy distortion.

I might want to check it up, but noone in my area has really any experience with Tube-Amps, and i'll be well with keeing my hands out of that.
  5. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I used an SABDDI for just over a year. I just couldn't get a decent sound of it. I found the tube simulation too unnatural. I mucked around with so much after reading all the praise on the boards. I never found that sweet spot.

I traded it off. I went back to using Sadowsky preamps, currently using the floor model and very much pleased with it.

It all depends what sound you are after. Take your amp down to store and line up the pedals and see which one works for you. Good luck.
  6. Creep

Mar 12, 2004
    I just bought one a couple of week ago based on all the praise and I must confess that I too have yet been able to find that "sweet spot"
  7. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I used mine for years to spice up a pretty bland amp (Peavey). Now that I have better sounding equipment, it sits idle.

Based on what you say you are looking for, I think it would work great.

Try one out with your rig, or just buy one. They hold there value very well and you can always re-sell it.

Good luck.
  8. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    A good point worth noting. I bought mine at NassnW used for $119. I traded it for an EBS Octaver. They are popular and not hard to disperse of.
  9. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I generally use mine with all the knobs, except for the output level knob, set to 12 o'clock. It adds a little extra something to the midrange. It's still pretty clean at this setting, but it doesn't have that "direct" sound. When I slap though (or if I want that ultra-pristine "direct" sound), I bypass it for maximum clarity (blending in more of the tube emulation sound seems to reduce high end clarity and "zing" a bit, hence I generally keep the blend knob 50/50.) I use it for guitar as well.