Sansamp BDDI and 18V onboard preamps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MacheteJames, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Here's the situation:

I recently installed a Bartolini NTMB into my MTD Kingston 5. I went with the 18V option for the extra headroom. The NTMB is fantastic, but there's one problem: I can't use my Sansamp with it. The signal is just too hot, it puts the BDDI into overdrive. Turning down the Drive and Presence knobs doesn't help. There's no active/passive option on its input. Turning down the bass doesn't help, as soon as I dig in, the distortion returns. Turning down the NTMB's gain via the gain control pot in the control cavity helped a little, but not enough. The only way I was able to get around this was to bypass the Sansamp entirely and plug into my QSC power amp, which actually sounds pretty good, but lacks warmth and renders the Sansamp useless.

Is there anything I can do?
  2. Strange, both my Spectors run at 18 volts and I've never had problems with my BDDI!
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Could be an impedance issue? Try running a 4:1 line transformer between the instrument and the BDDI, that'll probably solve the problem.

4. It's EMG electronics that are in mine. Strange that the output level doesn't change....wonder where it all goes! :confused:
  5. I tried turning the gain control pot all the way down, it helped a little, but I still can't get a clean tone out of this thing for the life of me. I love the Sansamp, but I think I may sell it if I can't find a solution to this problem. This, and the fact that it doesn't have enough volume to drive a power amp fully, are the reasons why.. :meh:

Where can I get a 4:1 line transformer?
  6. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    I've got the same problem with my G&L bass-too much output. I've been using my passive Fender P-bass more lately anyway. BTW, I don't have any problem driving my power amp with the Sansamp. Are you using the 1/4 inch output?
  7. Yeah, I am. The Sansamp will drive the QSC adequately, but it forces me to keep each channel at a higher volume than I would have to if I had a preamp with more output. It does the job, just not great. The lack of a mid control kinda sucks, too.
  8. I solved the problem. It was the last thing i suspected: the Sonic Maximizer. Just out of curiosity, I removed it from the chain, and the distortion was gone. I'm not sure how this could be... maybe the Sonic Maximizer was what was distorting, rather than the Sansamp?

I am now able to dial in distortion if I want to by cranking the BDDI's drive knob, but I can easily get clean tone now by keeping the knob below half. And the tone now? Ohh, the tone... :D
    It sounds fantastic. I love the natural compression that you get when slapping and popping. This has made my day.