1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sansamp BDDI and compression

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by shirojiro, Mar 29, 2002.

1. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    SO I just got off the phone with someone at BassNW because I'd like to get a compressor to use with my Sansamp BDDI. Specifically, I'm curious about the Tech 21 Bass compactor, and the EBS Multicomp. I read the reviews and stuff here regarding these pedals as well as on Harmony Central, but I didn't find mention of someone using one of these with the BDDI.

Now, I realize that the BDDI has some inherent compression due to the way it creates distortion, and the guy at BassNW was a bit incredulous that I would want to use a compressor with my BDDI. He asked why I wanted to use "a distortion pedal with a distortion pedal."

Well, I realize that a compressor, if desired, can square-off the sound waves much like clipping, but I mentioned that with a good compressor, you should be able to change the gain ratio so that the compression is softer, or more subtle.

I could amost hear the quizzical expression, and he just responded with, " Get the Multicomp. It's the best one."

I'm leaning toward the Multicomp, but this guys was no help at all.

It seems to me that the bass compactor may have the same tone controls as the BDDI, so it'd be redundant.

That said, I seem to remember someone who used both Tech 21 products together, but I can't seem to find the posts.

Whew.

Does anyone have experience comparing the Bass compactor and the EBS Multicomp in conjunction with a Sansamp BDDI?

Surely I'm not the only one who wants to do this.

-Shin

2. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    shin, I used to use both. I just got a carvin R600 amp and I'm using its compresson. The bass compactor can be used to make a passive bass active with its tone controls(so they say), it has a level, high,low,and compression controls. I have the sansamp set to svt, then I raised the high and low on the bass compactor to 2 o'clock. It gave a nice tight low end and the highs were smooth. ( I have a passive bass) the compression was very nice for a pedal. I goes from 1:1 to 15:1. I set it at 9 o'clock just enough to give a small amount of compression and sustain. I thought the two pedels sounded great together. The only problem with the bass compactor is that its a little noisy, not bad but its there. For 100 bucks I put up with it. It had the nicest compression of any pedal I tried, but I wasn't listening how quiet each one was. Im not sure about the compression on my carvin so I might go back to the compactor, but then theres the noise issue. Hope this helps

George

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Overall I've been impressed with the help I've received from BassNW... but if one of the salesmen referred to the BDDI as a "distortion box", that displays ignorance on his part. I use my BDDI for very gentle warmth, not distortion (the BDDI isn't really designed for hard distorion), and I use gentle compression in addition to that (a rack mount compressor; I can't comment on pedals, sorry).

4. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I have both the BDDI and the Compactor.For the few times I use compression,the Compactor is fine.I specifically wanted a stomp box format so I can switch it in or out while playing,such as for a boost in a solo.