Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp bddi and MXR 80 same chain..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slimjazz, Jul 18, 2005.

1. slimjazz

slimjazz

Jul 2, 2005
    so recently I have just experience a financial upgrade.. and like most people who are looking for a good DI/overdrive/tone pedal, I am stuck between the MXR 80 and the Sansamp Bass Driver. There are pros and cons with both and I've heard they have their oen "distinct" tones. So I have decided to just purchase both of them and use in the same chain, but mostly never at the same time.

Should I go for it? are there any problems with putting them in the same chain? (or maybe even together?)

2. sean_w_mcgrath

sean_w_mcgrath does this forum name make me look fat?

the only problem I could see from running both....is that you dislike one and rarely use it, and regret spending the money on it.

3. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I have/use both. Bass-M80-BDDI-Amp. I run the M80 w/o distortion for my main tone, for a different tone I run the BDDI, and for distortion I run the M80 w/distortion on. I never have them both on at the same time. I run the tuner off the unaffected output of the M80.

4. slimjazz

slimjazz

Jul 2, 2005
    what do you mean by you running the tuner off the uneffected output of the mxr 80? how? whats the purpose?

5. sean_w_mcgrath

The MXR has an Uneffected Output....which contains the raw bass signal.....and he is just running a this into the input of his tuner. This elimitates the need of an A/B switch, and sends a clean bass signal to the tuner. It is a common occurence to do something like this. I guess the only downside is that you don't have a tuner mute.....but depending on who you talk to that may not be a downside...

Hope this helps.

PS - I own a Sansamp, and plan on getting the MXR as well.

6. slimjazz

slimjazz

Jul 2, 2005
    so does this mean the MXR 80 has two outputs? one for tuner and one to go to the other effect? or is it just that the tuner comes after the MXR then the other effects follows.. isnt the tuner supposed to be in in the beginning of the chain? and what does it mean by having an "uneffected signal" output?

7. sean_w_mcgrath

Uneffected Signal means just what is says.....it isn't effected by the pedal...that is it is the same signal that is going into the input.

And the MXR has a few outputs, 3 to be exact: a regular output, a direct out, and a parallel (or uneffected) output.

Most tuners only have an input so the following signal chain can be used:

bass
    |
    |
    V
    MXR --(Parallel)-----> Tuner
    |
    |
    V
    Other Pedals or Amp

For more information of the features of the MXR check out the manual: http://www.jimdunlop.com/products/electronics/mxr/products/manuals/m80_manual.pdf

8. slimjazz

slimjazz

Jul 2, 2005
    oh ok, thanks. But is there an advantage of placing the tuner from the parallel output of the MXR 80 rather than just placing it as the first pedal of my effects chain? Does it really matter if I put my tuner out from the mxr or putting it in the front of my chain? whats the difference?

9. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    The way I do it the tuner is not in the signal chain, IOW no sound from the bass is passing thru the tuner then going to the amp.

10. sean_w_mcgrath

there is an advantage if your tuner is not true bypass. by running the parallel out of the MXR into your tuner you are not coloring your tone. If your tuner is true bypass it makes no difference.

11. slimjazz

slimjazz

Jul 2, 2005
    thanks, so from what I understand..the tuner will be better off comin from the MXR-80 and is much preferred out of the parallel output if the tuner is not tru bypass, such as the TU-2 or the Korg DT-10. Does the Sansamp bass driver have this same feature? as far as in being able to run a tuner out of a parallel jack to not alter the bass' tone?

12. Yes it does.I plug my Korg CA-30 tuner into the parallel out to tune. BUT... I have to unplug it when I am done as it adds noise to my signal when plugged in, weird eh? Probably cause its a $20 tuner, still seems weird though. :confused:

13. I run my tuner out of the Ernie Ball volume pedal as it has a tuner out. Aside from that... I love my MXR M-80!

14. slimjazz

slimjazz

Jul 2, 2005
    thanks guys hmm, k. I guess I will go with the tuner being plugged into the parallel out of the MXR 80. It seems like a better choice with hooking up a pedal tuner that's not true bypass..
    While we're on the subject of tuners, I am debating whether to get the Korg DT-10 pedal tuner, or the BOSS TU-2. I know the BOSS TU-2 is probably the most popular used tuner pedal out there, but I have also heard great things about the KORG. Some of the DT-10 owners claim that the KORG does not suck/alter tone like the TU-2 does even if its not a true-bypass pedal and is farely transparent. is this true? does anyone have any knowledge or opinions on these two equally matched pedals? Boss tu-2 or Korg dt-10..... and does the sansamp have the same parallel output as the mxr 80 for a tuner?