1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sansamp BDDI and Paradriver question.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dave_bass5, Sep 26, 2010.

1. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Currently im using a Behringer BDI21 and really like it.
    While i have had no issues with it im looking to get something that might stand up to touring etc a bit better than the BDI.
    I was all set to get a BDDI when i read about the Para driver.

My question is this. If i have the presence knob at 0 on the BDDI, and the mid control at centre or off (i dont know how this works yet) will both sound the same?
    While i like the tone from the BDDI it would be nice to have some control over the mids. But if the Para driver sounds different and cant get the BDDI tone im happy to get the BDDI.
    I never have the presence on or use the drive over about 9 o'clock.

Thanks for any help.

2. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    Our Bass Driver DI and Para Driver DI have some overlap in terms of sound although they are designed for different applications. The BDDI has a mid scoop when set flat as you suggest. To get a similar sound with the PDDI you would set the bass and treble to noon or flat and CUT the mids on the PDDI at 750Hz. Here's the deal. If you want to get the effect of the BDDI set flat with the presence knob boosted you would need to BOOST the mids at around 2k on the PDDI but now you lose the mid cut. For boosted mids on the BDDI you would cut the bass and treble. Also the PDDI has more distortion on tap.

It's really a hard call and depends on you first and foremost. I would suggest if possible trying both side by side and take it from there.

3. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thanks very much for the explanation. Your right, its a tough one.
    As i dont use the presence knob im happy to loose that off the Para, and gain the mid control.
    As long as i can get a tone very similar to the BDDI with the Para, i can then mess around with the mids and see if i can come up with something better. I dont want distortion but a little drive helps. I guess 9 o'clock on the drive is about the max i would use.

I suppose i asked this because the BDDI is aimed at bass and the Para is a more general box, so wasn't sure if the tone responses etc would be different.

4. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Just to finish this very short thread. I ended up getting a BDDI. Mainly because its cheaper and easier to get hold of.
    Im sure it will do the job and i can add the mids back in on the amp, hopefully.

5. I've had the BDDI for years, I love it but if I had to choose I'd take the Para, even though I've never tried one. I don't use the presence knob at all but the mids are certainly something you can use, so for me it would be better choice.

But really, I'm ver happy with the BDDI and can dial in the mids with my bass and amp anyway, so in the end it doesn't really matter. Except now I use a VT Deluxe :bassist:

6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thanks Jake.
    I had a VT bass for a week or so but didnt realyl get on with it. I guess i didn't really give it a chance but at the time i felt it was too overpowering for my needs.
    Back then i wasn't using the BDI21 either.

7. To be honest I've struggled a little with my VT but now it's coming together I think. Or maybe I'm getting pickier lol. Starting to wonder if a parametric eq might be handy to give it the punch right where I need it.

8. Tech 21 XXL B. Oh, my mistake, I though you said "what should I put in front of my SansAmp or Paradriver to make it sound better.

IMHO the VT Bass would probably be a better idea unless you need the DI, in which case you'd get the VT deluxe.

9. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I dont really need the DI although i do plan on using it to get power from our desk, something i couldnt with my BDI21.

As i said in my first post, im happy with the BDDI tone, and dont want to change that. Thats why i was asking if the PDDI can get that tone.
    I just wanted something a bit more robust and hard wearing compared to the BDI21. Thats why i haven't listed the VT bass, MXR80, Tone Hammer etc as other options.

I dont use distortion, and hardly any drive. I felt the VTBass was more about that aggressive tone so thats why i got rid of it. I know you dont have to use the drive knob.

My cabs are quite mid heavy so having something like my BDI21 has helped tame them a bit and given me a smoother tone. Oh, and i only need it to sit there and fatten up my tone a bit, i dont need prestes or channels. This has worked so far so i know exactly what to expect.
    Plus smaller the better.