1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sansamp BDDI + Aphex punch factory

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Papersen, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I´ve just ordered this 2 pedals. I´ve been searching for a good compressor mainly for live gigs, to level my output and the SABDDI to fatten up things a little bit, plus some OD.

Can anybody suggest me which one should go first in the sound chain ?

2. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    Generally recommended that compressor goes first to give other effects a nice even signal and not boost noise created by other effects.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I actually place my compressor last on my chain. My tone with the Sansamp adds a bit of high sparkle to it with thick and tight lows, and I play aggressive technical music with a ton of B-string slapping.

My chain looks something like this-
    Bass Wah
    Boss Bass Synth
    Boss Flanger
    Boss Chorus
    Sansamp BDDI
    ART Levelar compressor

What many of these effects do is add a ton of high frequency or volume at different ranges to the tone. I use the compressor to keep the highs in check. Having the compressor after the Sansamp gives my slapping tone the right balance of frequencies (lows not too boomy, highs not too biting... but both ends of the spectrum nicely compressed and solid). I also prefer to have an unadulterated tone go into some of the effects like the Bass Synth, which morphs differently depending on the strength of the signal coming in.

All in all I get some very good tone out of my setup, for what I do musically.

4. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I have the PF, and a Para Driver (same diff as the BDDI) and I've never felt the need for a compressor after it. On all the settings I've tried, the PDDI seems to compress a little itself anyway. So, I'd suggest putting the PF before the BDDI. I've heard that you can get some "synthy" sounds from od/dist with a comp before it.

I'll try that today and let you know how it goes :D

5. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    ...compressor goes last.

IMO, YMMV, etc, etc

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Here is a couple of audacity pics to show the sustain from the PF:

PF Before PDDI:
    PFComparisonBeforePDDI.

PF After PDDI:
    PFComparisonAfterPDDI.

As you can see there pretty much the same volume/sustain-wise (well, xcept for the last one, I had volume issues with my computer :( ). Anyways, here are some audio samples:

1)PF Before PDDI - Comparison: Left Stereo Field = No PF

2)PF After PDDI - Comparison: Left Stereo Field = No PF

3)PF Before and After - Comparison: Left Stereo Field = PF Before

My Analysis:
    Before the PDDI, the PF gives a more "even" distortion that sustains. After the PDDI, the PF sustains whatever the PDDI gives it, so the signal gets cleaner at around the same time.

I hope you understand and enjoy! :bassist:

7. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I used to use that exact same pedal setup and I put the Punch Factory first.

8. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Wow.
    Thanks for such a detailed and helpful comparison.
    I was starting to get a bit confused, because after reading the first 4 answers, 2 posts said "before" BADDI and 2 said "after" BADDI.

9. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    This is from the "Effects Explained" section on Harmony Central:
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/effects-explained.html

Placement in the Effects Chain
    When using the compressor along with other effects, it is most often best to put it first in the chain, primarily for noise reasons. When the compressor is on (which reduces the output peak dynamic range) and the output level is increased with the additional gain, the noise will be amplified along with the instrument's sound. Other effects can introduce more noise into the system, so if you put the compressor after those effects, you will end up amplifying that noise as well. Using the compressor first in the chain also gives the other effects a better signal to work with.

Most often may not be best for you.

10. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    I recently got the Zoom B2, and they also place the compressor/limiter as the first module in the chain of effect modules.

11. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    No problem. I'm always glad to use my recording setup to help :D :bassist: