Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SansAmp BDDI as a preamp directly into power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Dec 25, 2001.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've searched the archives on this, and have come up with conflicting info...

I'm in the process of selling off some underutilized stuff, and want to take the resulting $$$ and invest in a new amp that I can grow with. I'll keep my G-K 400RB as a backup. I plan on adding a second Bag End S15-D (or maybe an S15-XD) to my current one after I'm done upgrading my amp.

I'm considering using a SABDDI as a preamp XLR'ed directly into a poweramp (a Carvin DCM1000 is tempting) for a lightweight, portable rig with balls. Some past threads say this works well, others say it sucks with low output.

I noticed that Mackie claims full power is realized from their amps with a signal of 1.23V rms, and Bob Lee mentioned 1V for QSC amps in a post. Tech21NYC's website gives no specs - anyone with a manual?

Also, does using a SABDDI as a preamp give you the wonderful tone SansAmp is known for, or not? Once again, conflicting reports.

Anybody that's actually tried this, please chime in - I don't want to use it as a DI, strictly as a preamp. I thought I'd start a new thread with this question, because it was buried in my other thread. Thanks!

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Bump!
    Same question.

3. FatStrings

FatStrings

Nov 16, 2001
    Southern NH
    I ran a similar setup until very recently when I bought a Mesa rig.

It was a SansAmp BDDI into a splitter then into seperate channels of a Crown Power Base 2 stereo power amp.With 2 1x15 EV loaded cabs. It was plenty loud and a small turn of the nobs changed the sound alot.

I kept the Blend all the way up (blends the bass signal with the SansAmp's tone). And the Drive at about 3/4 (like pushing the gain in a tube amp).

I checked the manual. Didn't find anything about output signal, sorry.
    I'm selling this one if your interested. Don't need it anymore.
    FatStrings

4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Check your PM's.

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    FatStrings - Thanks for the info!

So, did you use the DI's level as a volume, and the amp's gain as a master? That seems to be what makes sense.

It sounds as if you had no problems at all with this arrangement. You also sound as if you were happy with the tone, too - right?

6. FatStrings

FatStrings

Nov 16, 2001
    Southern NH
    HeavyDuty, Yes at first I used the amps gain as a master volume, but then a couple different sound guys told me to keep both channels pinned all the way up. So I used the Level as a main vol. The
    Drive adds volume too.

Yes I was very happy with the sound but my doesn't play at concert volume either.

I play an early 90's Carvin 5 string with active electronics, and I got many compliments on my sound.And it is a very portable setup.
    Also I used the 1/4" output and split to the amp,then I used the xlr output to the PA board (for phantom power and a wider sound)

But I must say The Boogie sounds better and is louder,but it's not nearly as portable, in my opinion anyway.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    According to Mackie tech support, the Sans Amp BDDI will drive the 1400 or it's big brother to full power.

8. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Cool, I just got a SABDDI for Christmas, so I think instead of a preamp, I'll get a poweramp and cabs first, run the SA as a pre, and then when I can afford it I will get an SVP or something.

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    My plan exactly. I'll post Sat eve. (getting a power amp) and tell you what I think of it.

10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Thanks, guys!

I made two calls today:

One to Tech21 to ask the same question. They said the SABDDI was designed with preamp use in mind and should work fine. They recommended XLR'ing the stomp into the amp for best results. About what I expected the manufacturer to say, but I didn't feel any smoke being blown up my skirt.

The second to BassNW, whose collective opinions I respect. One of the guys there said a SABDDI into a Stewart World 1.2 or 1.6 was one of their favorite lightweight bass rigs, and would easily hold its own. A RBI would be preferred for maximum versatility and control, but the stomp was no slouch as a preamp.

Blisshead, I anxiously await your report! Are you going to XLR in to the poweramp, or use 1/4"?

11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Now, if there were some way to modify a poweramp to provide phantom power to the SABDDI...

:D

12. FatStrings

FatStrings

Nov 16, 2001
    Southern NH
    Well now your starting to scare me:D

You do realize it can run on a 9V or a DC power supply, right?

13. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yeah, but no wall wart with phantom power! One wire from pedal to amp...

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I will XLR it. The phantom power thing would be very cool!! I'll post Sat night to let you all know how it goes. I'm glad you called BassNW, I feel better about trying this now.

15. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    i've run my sansamp into the power section of my trace head many times - sure is a nice sound. glad to hear you guys are having the same results too...

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The SABDDI works fine as a sole preamp as long as one important condition is met: you do not intend to use bypass mode.

The SABDDI has a true bypass, which means that bypass mode is about the same as running your bass straight into your power amp. This will probably not provide enough gain for you. As mentioned, suitable gain can be achieved by boosting Level (and perhaps Drive) in effect mode, but by doing so the effected level will be much louder than the bypassed level.

If the SABBDI is your only tone device, you probably won't care about using bypass mode so the caveat is moot. Still, I think it's worth mentioning.

FWIW, I run SABDDI --> preamp --> compressor --> power amp.

17. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    After the BDDI I intend to use a compressor with an output of +4dBu, though I never really bypass the BDDI anyway. Good point though, a bass straight in wouldn't drive it.

18. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I just got a SABDDI for Christmas also, but I'm confused about one thing: Phantom Power.

I play in my church band, so if I go from my bass to the SABDDI then directly to the house PA via XLR output, does that give me phantom power or would I still have to use the AC adapter?

19. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Another option is to get a little bitty mixer like the Behringer 602, run the BDDI into that, then the mixer into the amp. Gives you the option to amp something else if you ever need to, as well.

20. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You can run it on phantom power just fine.