Sansamp BDDI Blend knob. Transparent?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 3NotesAbar, Oct 13, 2006.

1. 3NotesAbar

3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    Singapore
    I went through a few threads on this, and failed to come up with any conclusive answer. My question is: When the blend knob is set to minimum, how transparent is the sansamp as a DI? We all know that it emulates the SVT sound when blended upwards, but what of the reverse? Thanks in advance! :)

2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    the sansamp has one of the best buffered bypasses i've heard. very transparent.

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I've owned and used a sansamp PDDI, and, yes it's very transparent when you put the blend on min. You could have the drive on max and you wouldn't notice a difference. If your looking for a transparent DI w/ some EQ posibilities, then I'd sugest the PDDI over the BDDI due to the shiftable mids.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    +1 to all of the above!

I don't use it as a transparent DI, but it sounds like it can do that easily when I've turned the blend down to minimum.

5. 3NotesAbar

3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    Singapore
    I was actually thinking of getting the programmable version, to get both natural tones and SVT-ed tones for my gig. Yes, I'm greedy like that :D I think I'll do that right away. To the store! Thanks for your input guys!

6. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i don't find it all that transparent. yes, it is a great sounding DI, but it definitely has a sound to it with the blend up or down.

shortly after i got one (programmable bddi), i picked up a radial jdi with the jensen transformer that uses phantom power and i haven't plugged in the sansamp since. the radial is crystal clear and all i hear is my bass when going direct. absolutely LOVE it! the sansamp is a great sounding box, don't get me wrong, but in clarity, it doesn't compare to the radial.

7. 3NotesAbar

3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    Singapore
    Thought I'd revive this thread instead of making a new one for this question:

Between a paradriver and the bassdriver, what are the differences in the blend function of each pedal? My country only has the SABDDI and the SAPBDDI, no paradriver to look at. Please help?

8. Why not just get the normal BDDI and when you want transparent turn it off :p

9. 3NotesAbar

3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    Singapore
    Trouble is I don't think its transparent at all now. :(
    After doing much research and reading on posts, I realised that the sansamp bypassed still takes away some treble. Now i'm seeking to find out what the blend button does on the paradriver, as opposed to the blend knob on the SABDDI.

10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    That button is actually a small knob. I think they just made it small like that so that they didn't have to change the stripe in the paint job ;)

Like I said above blend on min and the bypass tone seemed very transparent to me.

But then again the TU-2 does to, at least from the mutable out :bag:

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

If you want it to be a really transparent DI, turn it off.
    When on, even with blend to 0, level and EQ are still active.

12. 3NotesAbar

3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    Singapore
    Thanks guys! Definitely the next pedal on my list now after the sadowksy! :)

13. geeyza

geeyza

Apr 6, 2004
    boozer
    +1 , I owned bddi before and using a paradriver now,havent noticed anything(on both) when the blend is turned down,to me it is very transparent.If you adjust the volume to unity,and the blend is turned down,when you switch the pedal on or off,there is no difference in the sound.

14. 3NotesAbar

3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    Singapore
    But I do get the distinct feeling that the buffered bypass does add noticeable color to the sound. As long as the pedal is plugged in, the output signal changes. But thats really subjective, coming from my half-deaf ears!

15. +1 to the above.. i found (well, at least with the BDDI version - haven't tried the new one) that even with the pedal turned off, it changes the sound of my basses, the tone of them. It does kind of irritate me. I'm sure this isn't true bypass - mind you, i'm just trusting my ears here, never looked into it too technically..

16. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    The SansAmps are definatly not true bypass. Took a look at the switch in the one I had, and it's not 3PDT (or whatever), it's a plunger/button type thing.

But again, I never noticed a difference...

EDIT (just do I don't offend): Obviously, evidenced by the posts above YMMV :)

Squittolo likes this.
  17. 3NotesAbar

3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    Singapore
    No worries Daniel, thats the beauty of a forum, having different opinions! Cheers! :D

18. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    :cool:

19. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    The programable bass driver is a blast to mess with. I do get irritated with the non true bypass and can tell right away that something is in my signal path when the unit is off. But that shouldn't be too much of an issue if you like what the pedal has to offer. having three switchable tones in one pedal plus the bypass sound is really cool for such a simple, easy to use pedal. I love mine even though, I usually just plug by bass into amp!

20. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Long live quality BUFFERED bypass systems! :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021