SansAmp BDDI into an Eden wt 400

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JefWes, Nov 23, 2002.

1. JefWes

Jan 1, 2002
    I'm interested in getting a SansAmp BDDI and was wondering how I can plug it into my Eden wt 400 bypassing the Eden preamp circuit. Would just like to use the SansAmp as the preamp and use the Eden just for a power amp. Is this possible?
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Why in the heck would you want to do THAT? THe SBDDI is a nice little unit, but the the Eden's preamp section is far superior.
  3. JefWes

Jan 1, 2002
    I never thought I'd say this....... my amp/cabinet combination sound is just too clean! I'm using an Eden WT-400 traveler and an Eden 4ohm 410XLT. I would like to have a little more tube OD sound. I've done searches at TB and many people really like the sound of the SansAmp. Don't really want to add a distortion pedal. Last week I got a Digitech Bass Squeeze which has smoothed out my bass sound considerably. The compressor in the Eden amp just doesn't work for me so I disable it. Still just need a little more overdrive that I can't seem to get out of the Eden.
  4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I don't know anything about the WT400, but assuming it has an effects loop you could either use the SABBDI as a preamp by only connecting it to the effects return (with the bass to the SABDDI input), or inline by connecting both effects send and effects return to the SABDDI (and the bass to the WT400 input). Or just use the SABDDI as a pedal between the bass and the amp input, I have seen people do that too.
  5. JefWes

Jan 1, 2002
    So if I just plug the output of the Sansamp into the efx return on the Eden amp, this will bypass the Eden's preamp circuit? If so that would be great.
  6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    As I don't know how the WT400 works I'm guessing, but it's likely.
    You could try with another pedal of some kind.
  7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have both a WT-400 and a SansAmp BDDI, and I've tried what you're suggesting. The SansAmp doesn't have enough clean gain to drive either the aux or FX return inputs, which perform much better with line-level signals. The only way you'll get gain comparable to the WT-400's front end is if you crank the level, drive and blend controls into serious fuzz territory.

Also be aware that plugging directly into the FX return DOES NOT bypass the Eden's tone controls-the FX loop is post gain/enhance and pre-EQ, unlike the FX loops of most other bass amps, which come post-EQ. IMHO the 'colored' sound of Eden amps that people often talk about comes more from the EQ than the preamp or enhance circuit, even with the EQ set flat.

The Aux returns perform best when you give them a line-level input; any thing less will require you to crank the master which greatly increases hiss and noise. I think you'd be better off just plugging the SansAmp into the front of the amp or after the Eden preamp in the FX loop. You could also look into the rackmount SansAmp RBI-I imagine it has a higher output that would let you directly drive the power amp.
  8. number three

number three

Aug 29, 2002
    I thought that thing was a preamp. shouldn't it be able to drive a power amp? It says in the front of the bass driver manual in order to drive a power amp to run the 1/4" output to the input of the power amp. I do this with my girlfriends old peavey 150 watt, sounds much better. Of course anything would probably make that sound better. As soon as I get my speaker cab I was going to use the bass driver for a preamp into my carver power amp. Is this not recomended or something?

I thought the rackmount was the exact same as the pedal with some extra bells and whistles?
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've done this with my Avalon U5, and it worked fine. It sounded good, too, but I'm with Eric. The Eden pre-amp is great as it is. If you're still gungy about doing this, you might try plugging the output of the SABDDI into one of the auxiliary inputs ordinarily used for CD players and stuff. I believe those inputs DO bypass the EQ circuit.
  10. JefWes

Jan 1, 2002 the Sansamp worth getting to achieve a little OD with the Eden WT-400? How does your amp sound with this combination? Does anyone know of a way to get some OD with just the Eden Wt-400 on it's own? I'm thinking of just getting a SansAmp RBI and a power amp to replace the Eden WT-400 if I can't get a little OD out of the Eden. I think the Eden WT-400 with the 410XLT and my Stingray have a GREAT sound together, but for the type of music I'm into playing it's just too precise of a sound.....I need the sound of tubes being pushed. Thanks everyone for all the input.
  11. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    get a booster of sorts to overdrive the input maybe... have you tried a bass into the eden w/pregain maxed? maybe you can OD its valve
  12. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I need to post a bit of a correction-I tried my BDDI into the WT-400 today for the first time in a while. As I had remembered, the SansAmp didn't have enough gain to work well when driving the aux ins for my tastes, but this time it actually performed very well when plugged into the FX return, having plenty of gain even when switched off. Oops. Time to eat some tasty crow! I should have rechecked this before my original post-sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

Overloading the front end of the amp doesn't seem to produce much useable overdrive, even with the gain maxed out and the super-high output P pickup on my Godin SD-4. The BDDI works great for adding a bit of overdrive and tube dimension-it reminds me of the big, grunting sound I've gotten from Ampeg B-15's in the past. It's not so good for sustaining distortion and it would benefit from a mid control but it works very well for simulating a hard-working tube amp.
  13. JefWes

Jan 1, 2002
    Thanks Winston....I'm going to get a SansAmp RB1 and try it in the aux input. If I can't get enough volume out of it the Eden, it will be replaced with a QSC RMX 850 I have sitting in my basement. Thanks again.
  14. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I have both the Sansamp BDDI and a Fulltone Bassdrive. The Bassdrive works best with my Eden WT 300.
  15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    overall i have found that using the sansamp before the eden preamp works just fine
    i don't think you'll hear an appreciable tonal difference doing this vs plugging the sans amp right into the return or auxilliary input