Sansamp BDDI + J-Retro - how will it sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jul 28, 2005.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I have a Jazz Bass with a J-Retro. I want to get a Sansamp BDDI, but I've heard they work best with passive pickup basses. How will it sound with my J-Retro? Will it make a big difference in my tone?
  2. they work best on passive basses? of well, i use mainly active basses and it sounds great

you will be able to get a huge tonal difference, or just add that edge on it, dont listen to what it says in the manual, and dont use the blend knob all the way up, i use it between 30-60% on , but turning the blend down is good for actives i find
  3. Tommi Jenssen

Tommi Jenssen Guest

Jun 21, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I have a Hotwire Vintage 5 (with J-Retro) and until a few months ago, I also had a BDDI. They sounded very nice together, both in pasive mode and in active mode... It didn't make that big of a difference to my ears anyway. I mostly played it active actually.

And yes, it will make quite af diff in tone... It's like plugging your bass in a full rig, but then packed in a DI-box (that's why they call it 'sansamp'). There's a 2-band eq and a drive knob on it, so you can vary your tone quite alot. But you can also bypass the pre-amp if you want to...

Just try it and see if you like it.
  4. I used a SABDDI with a J-retroed Lakland DJ for a while, but ended up using the SABDDI more as an effect than a preamp. But I didn't have any problems with the SABDDI-as-preamp setup, it worked fine.

I've been using the SABDDI with an SR5 (active) as a preamp with good results.
  5. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Okay, I think I'll get another SABDDI, but the new programmable one this time. One of my problems with it was that I couldn't change the midrange, so with bass/treble boost I could make it sound less scooped or more scooped. The midrange control on the J-Retro should allow me to accentuate the mids while using the SABBDI. I know what you mean about making a difference tone wise. I used to have a Peavey Basic 112 which was a pretty good sounding combo amp, but when the SABBDI was plugged in it made it sound so much bigger/fuller.
  6. The mid range on the sansamp is pretty smart, if you turn up the bass and treble it scoops the mids, turn down the bass and treble, it will boost the mids, im sure it does that anyway :smug:

one thing to remember with it is, the slightest changes make alot of difference!
  7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    You could also try the sansamp para driver. It has the mid knob plus mid shift. No presence knob though.

I love my sabddi and i am about to switch over to the para driver for the mid knob.
  8. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I figure I might be able to do a more direct mid-boost with the J-Retro.