Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sansamp BDDI makes big HUM

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by resol, Mar 12, 2006.

1. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    setup my bass and amp as usual today at church, as below:
    BASS->SANSAMP BDDI->AMP(NEMESIS NC-210)
    and as i turned up the gain and master volume on my amp, there was a very loud HUM - no signal from the bass, just really loud HUM
    freaking out, i disconnected and tried without the BDDI - worked FINE. then connected the BDDI again - loud HUM returned.
    tried again, disconnecting and reconnecting everything, this time with the bDDI again - and now everything worked fine! sounded perfectly normal, with NO HUM and as if nothing had happened...

what's going on here? is it the BDDI? is it the leads or a bad connection (as sounds engineer suggested)? is it the amp (which i doubt)? the thing is, its happened once before - ppl suggested that it was too much gain from the BDDI...but THIS time, i had both DRIVE and LEVEL controls both below 12, plus it didn't really sound like feedback :help: :help:

2. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    The connect/reconnect thing narrows it down to bad connections, which can be either end of your cables or the innards of the BDDI.

Your guess is as good as mine on which, but it should be relatively simple to figure out with some tweaking of your cable connections.

I could be wrong.

3. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

+1 vote for possible bad cable.

Mine freaked out on me once. I checked and rechecked both input and output cables, power adaptor jack, but no dice.

I figured I'd finally worn the thing out somehow, after 4 years of daily use.

But I forgot to check one thing....the cable going from the BDDI's parallel output to my tuner pedal. That was the culprit, a bad connection on the George L plug at the tuner end of that cable.

As soon as I re-fit the George L, all was fine again. The George L system is nice, but it pays to periodically snip off the cable ends and re-install them.

4. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    This man is wise.

5. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    i'm thinking it's a bad cable as well - hopefully its not a problem with the BDDI unit itself. might be up for a cable rehaul

just wondering if a bad cable makes a HUM sound...wouldn't be more of a CRACKLE?

6. Whenever my BDDI starts to hum loud after changing around settings, I just turn it off (make it just straight DI) and then stomp it back on and it usually has quit. The only trouble with mine is that it is a programable so you have to be really careful not to save the setting.

to make it easier (because that sounded confusing)..next time it happens, just hit the stomp button to turn it off, then hit it again to turn it back on...works for me...could be just a glitch in my box..

7. bassplayer347

bassplayer347 Guest

Dec 24, 2003
    Kansas
    Sometimes the jack can get gunked up and need a shot of contact cleaner to help make good contact, same with cable ends.