Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp BDDI or Fulltone Bass Drive???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by punchybass, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Let me first say that I play the bass purely for recreational purposes. I usually a 1980 Fender P bass, Flatwounds, Ashdown Mag300 and Avatar 2x10s. I love to play Rush, Yes and more recently, Iron Maiden.

I play without any effects. I am dying to get the sounds of the above masters w/out breaking the bank. I have narrowed it down to the Sansamp BDDI and the Fulltone Bass Drive...I think. :meh:

You guys ALWAYS provide such great professional opinions and I'm hoping you'll do the same here.

Thank you!!!

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The SansAmp will probably do a better job of emulating the various sounds you need.

I have a SAGT2. It's very versatile.

3. I've got the Fulltone and love it. You definitely can't go wrong with either pedal, they're both top quality stuff. For what you're looking to do though, I'd go with the Sansamp.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

+1

5. Word on the Sansamp. I can get hella Steve Harris tones. :bassist:

6. Thanks for the replies!!! I'm looking for a Sansamp now!

7. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    FWIW, They work nicely together. I use both. Sansamp to shape my tone, I like it better as a tone enhancer than on OD. I use the Fulltone to add OD on top of the sansamp, and it sounds nasty!

8. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Very interesting. I use a SABBDI and usually have the OD on at all times. I like it, but also think the OD is a bit buzzy, as opposed to a warm fuzz.

I heard a song sample by a band on Myspace and loved the warm fuzz on the bass tone. I contacted them and the bassist responded saying his tone was from a BassDrive 2 into an Ampeg SVT. How much of what I'm hearing would be the BD2 and how much would be the SVT? Wouldn't having the BD2 be redundant (not familiar with Ampegs)?

9. Haha strange, i was in the same dilema a while ago, but the sansamp definitely has my vote. Really good stuff, helps you get all the warm tones and sounds you want without having to lug around heavy stuff or miking. But it doesn't serve that well as a distortion pedal though, but its a full 10/10 for tone shaping!

Cheers, Spike