Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp BDDI or MXR M-80

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by silky smoove, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Sansamp Bass Driver DI

28 vote(s)
    65.1%
  2. MXR M-80

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm planning on buying a new DI box in the near future, but I want one that can add a bit of "grind" to my tone. I fell in love with the sound clips for the Sansamp Bass Driver DI, but I've also been recommended the MXR M-80. Whichever unit I end up with will be used for both recording and for live performances, and aside from supplying my live sound/recorded sound to the board they will be used to dial in some grit, grind, nastiness, etc. I'm not looking for full on distortion, just some......... ugliness.

Which would you recommend? Why do you prefer one over the other? Thanks in advance.

2. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    MXR - the distortion channel doesn't have to be used for distortion. I use it as a volume boost when needed. But, it's nice to have the OD/dist. at your foot if you want it.

3. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA

You can also turn the distortion on/off without having to bypass the entire unit. This way you can have the M-80 turned on and eq'd the way you want and then kick in the distortion when needed. I think the SansAmp only has one switch for the entire effect. I could be wrong so feel free to correct me.
    I'm not trying to say one thing is better than the other i'm just pointing out what I know the M-80 can do. I have never played through a SansAmp.

4. Isabigload

Isabigload

Nov 28, 2004
    bwad

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I went into Guitar Center expecting to buy a Sansamp BDDI when my band was recording. After some convincing by an employee, I took home an MXR M80, expecting to try it out, and take it back, I plugged it in, set the EQ, and thought hmm, this isn't bad. I hit the color switch. Holy Guacamole! I feel in love with it at that point, and I now use it with all my passive basses as a preamp. It does wanders. Adds a good amount of clank and growl that I feel a Sansamp just can't do.

A friend came over with his Sansamp M80 a week ago, and we played around with both, then I hooked the Sansamp up behind the M80 and plugged my P-bass into it. Prepare to be unbirthed!

~Patrick

6. SansAmp every time

Absolutely no contest whatsoever IMHO. :)

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Unless you need to be able to use eq and od/dist separately... or you need / want 3 band eq.

Don't get me wrong, the Sansamp is a great pedal. But it's important to remember the differences and saying 'sansamp every time' without taking those differences and peoples needs into account doesn't really help IMHO.

Mr Smoove - Searching is your friend... There's a mega thread comparing the sansamp and mxr, here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40541

8. Isabigload

Isabigload

Nov 28, 2004
    bwad

9. I consider myself duly chastised although "In My Honest Opinion" there IS no contest BUT I accept that this is totally subjective. :)

Having said that, I don't know what I can offer you other than my honest opinion. Anything else would be pure conjecture, surely? ;)

10. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks Mr. Wilson, I had a momentary brain-fart and forgot to search first, post second. :D

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Of course, my point was more related to taking the needs into account before making a recommendation.

If you need 3 band eq, the Sansamp can't 'win'
    If you don't need to be able to control eq/dist separately, or you need more of an od rather than dist, the Sansamp might well be the better choice.

I use both pedals at different times depending on my needs. I generally use the MXR live for the control it provides, and the Sansamp for recording. Other people with different needs may well decide differently, and that's cool.

12. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    My personal choice was the Sans amp. Although I STILL HAVENT GOTTEN IT. I got 2 day shipping and its been like 5 days. Anyone ever ordered from Musictoyz.com? Maybe UPS is screwed up because of thanksgiving. I duno. But the sans amp looked better to me, tube emulation all the way.

grey skull

13. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    here's onething : phone musitctoyz before ordering from them. If it's in stock, there are no problems. If it's not in stock, they will ship when it gets in stock but in the interim they won't respond to emails or voicemails. That's been my experience, admittedly I haven't ordered in a while so maybe they've improved.

14. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    It said it was in stock when I ordered it. Thats actually why I ordered it from there. If it wasnt, man thats gonna suck. I needed it for a gig this friday. I got an e-mail thursday that it had shipped. Im wondering what the hell is goin on.

15. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, you can't trust their online stock indicators. I know, it kind of negates the whole reason for shopping online. Call in advance and save yourself a headache :)

16. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I voted M-80. I never leave home without it. I tried both
    out in the store when the M-80 first came out,cause I wanted to replace my old passive DI.And the M-80 had the
    sound I was looking for.

17. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I prefer the SansAmp BDDI. I don't need one for my gigs at the moment, but if I need soemthing to put a little more "nastyness" into my sound than I get with my Avalon U5, I will use the BDDI on the "fat tube" preset to dirty things up a bit.

18. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Its possible that I missed this in this thread, or in the MEGATHREAD, but I've got a question regarding the Sansamp. Let's say I've got it setup with a nice EQ and a nice bit of overdrive and its all tuned in to my liking. Now, I hit a mellow song and I want to drop the distortion completely (realizing that this will also drop any EQ'ing/Presence adjustments on the Sansamp as well). Does the bypass function of this also bypass the DI out? In other words, with the unit bypassed, will my signal still be fed to the board?

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yes.

20. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

If I had to buy a DI, I'd save a while longer and get the Aguilar. Hands down the best I have ever used - warm, clear, punchy...! When I need a DI regularly again I'll get another, until then I'll make do with my Raven Labs DI!

Dan K.