Sansamp BDDI + Other Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CallMeBlind, Dec 13, 2005.

1. CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    Hi there! I need some help on using my sansamp together with my mini q-tron and other effects. Usually I have "blend" knob all the way up on my sansamp, so it's making sound kinda compressed. If I'm using my mini q-tron (q-tron befor sansamp) together with sansamp, sansamp is killing it. If I putting sansamp-q-tron, then it's a bit better, but still it is not ok. I have an idea, but not pretty sure that it will work. What if I will run my bass through sansamp and then make another line from parallel output of my sansamp into mini q-tron and then both lines into line splitter or DOD mini mixer (to make it one line) and then into my amp?
  2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    First, try reworking the settings on the BDDI. Don't run as much Drive, and that should lessen the compression effect. Then set the Level so that the volume is similar when the BDDI is on and off.

If you run the BDDI into the Q-tron then deal with the fact that filter effects are very sensitive to gain, so be sure to adjust the sensitivity control on the mini-Q so that you are getting the filter to open the way you want. If you did an OK job getting the on/off gains similar on the BDDI then there shouldn't be too much difference in how the mini-Q reacts.

I run a BDDI in front of an EMMA Discumbobulator and it works fine.

You could use the parallel out on the BDDI and send that to the Q-tron, and then recombine them with an A/B box, splitter, or mini-mixer. But you would only be getting the filter on the dry bass sound (or whatever was in front of the BDDI.=).
  3. CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    Thanks for advice, but still it's not OK! :meh: General speaking sound is fine, specially if you never heared how q-tron sounds without sansamp. I have to try minimixer option. Btw what are your sansamp settings?
  4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Try running the SA with the blend knob around 12 o'clock. Although the suggested settings from the manual all show the blend maxed, most people find that backing it off helps with their tone. It'll probably also help keep your q-tron sound. I run a Discumbobulator in front of my SAPBDDI with no problems.
  5. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I use a compressor after the sansamp. sansamp blend knob is @ 5, drive 1 and level @ 6-7. Sounds quite good with this setup.
  6. geeyza

Apr 6, 2004
    I use qtron+ebs multi comp+ sansamp.with sansamp,I have the blend knob around at 10-11 oclock.multicomp really helps in controlling the volume peaks of the qtron.i think the key is the blend knob really.also i think it is important,what settings you use with your qtron,some settings might work with different blend knob positions.
  7. CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    After trying this and that for a while, I started to think maybe sansamp is not for me. I tried all the blend positions and also putting q-tron before and after sansamp ic the chain. The only way it's fine - when q-tron is before sansamp and blend knob at 9 o'clcok,but when turn q-tron off, I have to move blend back to 11 o'clock. Also I checked parallel output option, q-tron sounds fine, but sansamp lose it functionality. Honestly I think I don't really like thid DI thing, it makes sound kinda in a can. Maybe i have to replace sansamp with smth else, another preamp without DI. Just for information I have Spector bass with EMG HZ and EMG active preamp (bass and treble control). I was already looking at Aguilar otbuard, but not sure it will make sense, because it has only bass, treble and volume controls.Any ideas?