1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sansamp BDDI Pedal Placement?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sundown1206, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Sundown1206

Sundown1206 Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    So I tried it first, and I tried it last.

My chain:

Bass
    Qtron + (Bass Big Muff)
    Enigma Q Balls
    ODB-3
    TU-3
    Sansamp Bass Driver DI
    Amp

My BDDI Helps make my Stingray even better when clean, but it makes my other effects sound terrible.

The Qtron ends up sounding too harsh and trebly
    The Enigma has a bit of the same problem, but mainly a volume boost that I don't want.
    ODB-3 Sounds good either way actually.

Any recommendations to fix these issues? Or should I return it? :/

2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Maybe the problem is that you have an overdrive pedal, a fuzz pedal, and a dirty-sounding envelope filter in your chain already. I'm not surprised that the addition of another dirt-inducing pedal makes things sound harsh or unpleasant.

It seems to me like you have enough sources of grit, dirt, fuzz, distortion and overdrive. If you need a DI on top of that, get one that just does that. If you want a DI with the SansAmp classic amp/cab modeling circuitry in addition to a bit of overdrive, get rid of some of that other stuff and let it do its job by itself or maybe in conduction with one other pedal. This would let you go from sizzley/ampy for full-time...and face-melting fuzz for when you need to go to 11.

I have tuner, envelope filter, compressor and SansAmp. If I were to incorporate another dirt pedal somewhere, I'd put it anywhere behind the SansAmp that sounded good. First, second-to-last or somewhere in between.

Anyway, you want the SansAmp last in the chain so that the DI can deliver all the other effects in your chain.

3. Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    I see what you're saying but I only have one on at a time along with the sansamp. I'd like it to be a preamp and a di. When I turn it off and then use my effects they sound great. But my clean tone could definitely use the sansamp which is why I'd like to keep it.

4. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Well, are you running it at approximately unity gain? Is volume the same with the pedal on as off?

Also, you might want to check how you're running the other variables. Too much treble or presence? I run my treble at like 9 o'clock, but the presence up past noon. YMMV. And how much actual drive are you dialing in?

5. Put it in front and it should be the first pedal. If you use it after some dirt pedals, decrease the blend.

6. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I actually have had good luck having all my regular effects before the amp, Sansamp BDDI in the FX loop.

I want the same sound going to the FOH that comes out of my amp. Or as close as possible.

7. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    I run a BDDI last and my chain is quite full of OD, , fuzz, distortion, envelope filter, etc. This may sound overly simplistic but (at least in my case), it was a matter of spending quite a lot of time dialing everything until I found the tones I want. I don't find that the BDDI negatively impacts my other effects....but thats just me.

8. ...& me. [​IMG]

mine works well at the end of my chain as well. i did have to spend some time getting the levels right one pedal at a time though. initially i was trying to put it other places, but i like using it with phantom power which regulates it to last. once i set the sansamp to clean & got everything else dialed in, it's worked fine.

9. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    It's the other way around for me; everything sounds before into the BDDI. Without it all my dirt pedals become too harsh.

10. Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    I've decided since it affects the other pedals either way I'll keep it at the end so the di has the effects as well.

But anywho, tomorrow I'll mess with the trim pots in the qtron and enigma to see what I can come up with.

11. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    The Bass Driver is the last in the chain, some of the reason is because I use the XLR out into a poweramp or the mixer.
    [​IMG]

12. smadder

smadder

Nov 13, 2004
    As others have said, that's really the best way to go. Even when bypassed it will still solidify your signal coming out of your chain of pedals and that's a good thing. Then if you use it for tone and/or a DI out in addition to running to your amp, you're ready to go without the need for anything else.

When I first got mine in 2000 it was (at the time) the best bass distortion/overdrive on the market so I used it as an effects pedal and had it in the middle of my chain right before my envelope filter. But once I got a good dedicated distortion pedal, the Sansamp moved to the very end of my pedal chain where it does the most good.