1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sansamp BDDI questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tom once dead, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Okay, So I have enough money for the BDDI, and I want it, but I have some questions before I get it.

Does it do SVT tones well?
    Can I get a Rex Brown (Pantera) type tone from it?
    Is there a lot of tonal variation?
    Will I definately be happy with it (Knowing I love tube tones)?
    And, Can you run it just as a pre amp or effect?
    Thanks, I'm sure I'll think of more.

2. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    This is subjective, but I'll give it a shot:

1. I hear it does, I'm a solid state guy
    2. Not a Pantera fan but it can go from mild overdrive to a very agressive drive
    3. A good amount yes, it is pretty versitile.
    4. Probably

The only way to answer these questions is really to try on out. :)

3. yeah, I have no trying out option, I'll be buying from US

4. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Fair enough. Try listening to some sound clips via musiciansfriend or youtube, etc. Given your parameters though, I bet you'll be pretty happy with the BDDI

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    1. The BDDI does not do SVT tones IMHO.
    2. Eh, there's better but it'll get you close.
    3. Yeah, but not enough for me. A mid knob would have helped.
    4. As a tube lover, I am much happier with the VT.
    5. Yes. Just run it in-line or in your loop.

6. I listened to some youtube clips, Sounds like its exactly what I want.

Does anyone have better BDDI sound clips?

7. Thanks Jimmy. I just need somthing that will give me a better tone, and that I can take to gigs instead of the entire rig.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It's not that it's a bad pedal. I just don't think it's as tubey as Tech 21 claims. If they redesign the BDDI with VT circuitry, then you'd have a real tubey sound. I think it would do the job for you, but I just don't want you to get the wrong impression. It's not an SVT in a small DI box.

9. Yeah, well I figured that.

But from listening to sound clips, its (hopefully) going to make my tone a lot better without spending thousands.

10. You're in Australia, right?
    I was in the same position as you - In New Zealand, unable to try out, unwilling to fork out the US $350 or more it would take to buy one here.

I bought, unheard, from a TB'er via the classifieds, landed on my doorstep by USPS from the US for under $200NZ. I have been very happy. Haven't tried the VT bass for comparison, but the BDDI has certainly improved my tone. I wish it had a mid knob too, but it does what it does and does it well. I don't like the more distorted sounds it has on offer (sounds harsh to me) but the subtle, SVT-grind OD it does works for me. It lets me get a usable tone out of the Fender M-80 1x15 I play through sometimes at church, which says a lot for its abilities in sound-shaping, because that amp is awful... And if I was doing it again, I'd get the programable BDDI, just so I could switch sounds but keep that "bigness" it imparts.

I say go for it. Buy one used from a TB'er. I would imagine a few people are offloading them to get VT bass pedals. It'll be cheaper than locally, and you'll be able to flick it locally for the same price you got it for if it isn't for you.

Steve

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Sorry for the slight derailment...Steve, how are you enjoying your Dean 12? I got a Rhapsody 8 because I didn't want the extra weight of a 12, and I really like it a lot. Dean has ugly headstocks, but dang, for the money, they're hard to beat.

12. I just looked at the VT, now I don't know which one I want.
    should I get the Programable?

13. So Can I run the pedal just as a pre amp, and use a separate DI for padding, or does the BDDI have a pad button.

14. i think incase if you dont like the pedal you should be able to sell it out for the same price you paid for it or even higher in Australia perhaps.

15. I don't think the BDDI has a pad button on it, but my sound guy hasn't complained about the output from it being to high.

I haven't tried out the VT as I said, but the reviews I've seen are good. Personally, I'd get the programable as I said, but YMMV, and you're less likely to get a great deal on a VT because they're pretty new. I think the fact that the BDDI has been around for so many years and still sells despite not being cheap is a point in its favour. They're pretty bullet-proof and sound good. The VT is said to sound good, but the bullet-proofness jury is still out I'd say.

JimmyM, I love my Rhapsody 12. It's lighter (although much more neck-heavy, unsurprisingly) than my boat-anchor of an Ibanez ATK 5 string. It sounds like a musical freight-train. It fills more space than a sumo wrestler in a mini cooper. And it works very well for what I do (playing in a church which is bereft of electric guitarists). I fill a lot of rhythm guitar space by using distortion on the high frequencies only, so the bass stays nice and fat and uneffected, and the high strings have a nice fat overdrive on them. You should try that with your 8 if you can. I bought the 12 a year and a half ago in the US. Almost bought a used Dean Rhap 8 I found in Denver, but I really wanted a 12, so I waited until I got to Vegas, and went to Ed Roman's (I know, he's widely hated, but where else do you get to try out multiple 12 string basses to compare them). The Dean wasn't as nice as the US Hamer 12 they had, was significantly better than the Galveston 12 they had, so I bought it. The neck wasn't mounted quite straight in the pocket, so I've had to fill and redrill the bolts, but apart from that it's great. As you say, for the $, amazing.

OK, back to the BDDI thread now...

Steve

16. So would I be better off with the Progamable one. Thanks steve, for makeing me think that I would be better with the bddi. and If I dont like It I will sell it for more than I paid. They retail in Aust. for $549

17. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    I bought a programmable BDDI ($200 USD) based on trying it in the store with a passive bass while on the road. Trying to get a tubey sound. Was very satisfied.

Got it home and found it doesn't seem to work as well with active electronics, plus you have to very carefully fine tune settings for each individual bass. So yes, programmable is a good thing. I probably would have been happier with the VT.

Now I have a LMII - the BDDI is in the closet.

18. doesn't seem to work as well with active? what does that mean?

19. Doolz

Doolz

Oct 5, 2007
    for what its worth i remember reading somewhere that rex uses/used a HBE Hematoma.

20. So I'm ordering a Programable BDDI. My dad is taking it to work tomorow, so his co-worker can buy it online. My parents don't have a paypal acount OR credit card.

So hopefully I'll have it before the 27th. we are doing a gig then, and I don't want to take my whole rig. Its at an 18+ venue so we have to leave right after we play.

But soon, I'll be really happy with my tone, despite having a crap bass