Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp BDDI setting for fretless

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LKK, Oct 30, 2004.

1. LKK

LKK

Sep 4, 2002
    Is there anybody here who has successfully used SAnsamp BDDI with fretless bass? What is your setting?

I have been trying to use sansamp BDDI with my fretless jazz, without success. My fretless jazz has lots of mwahh and growl. But I am getting very muddy sound going through the sansamp BDDI.

Please recommend a good preamp + DI for passive fretless. Thanks.

LKK

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm not a fretless player so I can't help TOO much.

But the blend control on the BDDI can make ANY bass sound muddy when set at high. I never use it past halfway.

3. bassmatik

bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    the SAnsamp BDDI is great for fretless!
    i use the following settings for both fretted/fretless basses:

level: full!
    blend: depends, either half way or full.
    treble: half way (flat) or 9 o' clock.
    bass:either half way (flat) or 1-2 o' clock.
    drive:half way or 1 o' clock or... full!
    presence:rolled down completely.

it is a really good preamp + DI for passive fretless. :cool:

4. LKK

LKK

Sep 4, 2002
    Thanks for the caution about the blend control. I have always set it on full, like the manual says. I am now experimenting with it. I just had the SABDDI for a few weeks.

The setting with presence all the way down is new to me. I tried it. It gives a very smooth, round sound which could be useful in certain situation. But I am still lacking some clarity from the G string, when playing up the neck. I am also trying to get more growl in the sound.

5. bassmatik

bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    try some different settings of the "drive". :)

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    7 string (fretted and fretless) madman Eli uses the SansAmp Acoustic DI for fretless. He says the adjustable mid frequency makes all the difference in the world for bringing out the mwah... You need boost in the 800 to 1000 Hz range IIRC...

7. LKK

LKK

Sep 4, 2002
    Checked out the spec on the acoustic DI. The adjustable mid on it sounds like a good idea. I am currently using an old boss GE-7B (dark brown, made in Japan version) to boost the mid at 500 - 1K range.

8. The BDDI does seem to attenuate mids with a flat setting. Also, its makes average basses sound good.... premium basses it may not be as effective as they are better voiced in the first place.
    Maybe its just not adding to your bass... in which case, do you need a preamp? Or just set the blend to dry? (the eq still work).

I have a fretless but I don't try and get the typical 'fruity almost obnoxious mwah' sound - tend more for an overdriven sound :)

Ive found putting an EQ pedal before the BDDI useful.... I have a boss one and cut most of the 400/500 hz bands, boost 800 hz a lot, and cut most of the 4k and 10k bands. Works well for a beefy but cutting sound, and can use the level to overdrive the BDDI even further.

The acoustic DI in front of the BDDI may be a powerful combination.

I find I have 3 basic tones I want to have on hand....

a - rich beefy clean sound
    b - dirty sound
    c - boosted even more overdriven sound with cut lower mids

currently I have no way to switch between a or b with the BDDI.

I'm wondering wether I need to sneak a TRI AC past my wife :)

9. LKK

LKK

Sep 4, 2002
    Agree with your observation on the mid on SABDDI. I am still not able to get the mid boost I need. The suggested mid boost method in the manual is not effective, in my opinion. maybe it works for some instrument (e.g. it works OK with my P bass).

Your idea about the Tri AC is interesting. However, there is limited information on the web on using the Tri-AC with bass. The sound sample on their webpage sounds great though.

10. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I haven't yet come up with a setting I like with fretless, so I usually just bypass. I do like the SABDDI with fretted though, just to add a little hint of ampy twang.

11. Its a shame they didn't put a sweepable mid in the BDDI, everyone wants one. I suppose they want ppl to buy the rackmount version or something.

I know ppl use sansamp classic and possibly GT2 for bass.

I use the BDDI for guitar as well, works great. Generally I think tech21 makes stuff bass-friendly (doesn't emaciate the lowend).

12. That's why I want the Paradriver now...

13. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I use the MXR M80 with my fretless jazz bass. The 3 band eq allows you to get all the mids you need.

14. MikeMat

MikeMat

Sep 19, 2015
    Hello, I felt compelled to post here as I believe I can offer something useful re the fretless, which is my main bass. The suggestions are however, also applicable to fretted basses. I use a Status Matrix Empathy fretless (circa 1991) and an '89 Musicman Stingray for most of my fretted playing. I use a 500W Markbass amp with one and very occasionally two, 12 inch speakers. I mention all of this because it gives you an idea of my "core" sound. The amps coloration, with my usually flat EQ, is basically neutral with a slightly enhanced
    midrange. (e.g. a little "bark")

I've had the Sansamp BDDI deluxe for about a year now and have gone from being a bit luke warm about it to really digging it. It's very important to understand how the controls interact and are related. The key to getting a really good sound, IMHO, is to set the Blend very low. Basically I use the Sansamp to provide a little warmth to my sound. Not an obvious fuzzy distortion, just a glow. The blend knob is adding Amp Simulation. Modelling an Ampeg SVTish setup means it will obviously reduce the midrange content as I believe an SVT with 8x10 will. Looking at this another way, the control can be used as a way of reducing midrange "bark" if desired. The Distortion and Presence controls are tied in with the Blend control in as much as their intensity will be increased as the Blend is rotated clockwise. The Bass and Treble controls operate independently and reducing them both boosts the midrange very effectively.

I set the Distortion (Gain) to half up, the Bass and Treble flat, the Presence at about 10 o'clock and the Blend at 9 o'clock. The Distortion an Presence can be increased if desired and will certainly make a difference with the Blend set so low. However the Sansamp will not rob your sound of midrange used in this way and will not be adding any significant amp simulation. When using an amplifier this makes complete sense to me: why would I want an amp simulation effect when I'm using an amp? The exception to this is when DIing to a PA via the Sansamp. The standard bass Sansamp is more useful for this as it permits a flat sound to you amp and an effected sound to the PA, my version the "Deluxe" doesn't. In the studio the Blend can be gently increased to counteract the harshness often experienced while monitoring with headphones.

I hope this is helpful.
    Cheer
    Mike

15. I switch between playing my fretted Ebmm stringray 5 and my Fretless sbmm ray34cafl. I use a sans amp RBI which is the rack version of the bddi with a couple extras like mid control and more inputs and outputs, effects loop Ect. I basically have everything on the rbi between noon and 1 o'clock. If I want a cleaner fretless sound for soloing i use a reverb. A good example of reverb with fretless bass is the gary Willis solo space toneprint for the TC HOF reverb. Of course you can get that type of vibe with a ton of different reverb pedals, but a subtle reverb really makes vibrato and or "Mwah" more obvious. I really like using reverb with fretless, but as for using it with just the sans amp I would try to exagerate your vibrato more. When I started playing fretless it didn't even sound like fretless, more like a fretted bass, now when I want vibrato I exaggerate so the fretless vibe comes through more.