Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp BDDI + Tube amp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Is this overkill? If I buy a tube/solid state hybrid head, or even a full tube head, would I really need the BDDI? I can adjust drive and gain and stuff, so would it really be necessary to get the Sansamp? I don't really need it for the tone shaping options as I use an active bass, and I can get a different DI for cheaper, so it's basically for the overdriven sound the BDDI gives me. Any suggestions?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    to me the bddi is best viewed as an effect
    i dont use a tube poweramp but use tube preamps with solid state poweramps and the bddi has a tone that cant be duped by them
    i dont think the bddi really sounds liek a full tube amp either, it has its own sound that can get close to the overdriven sound of a tube amp, but its not the real thing either.
    i think you buy a bddi based on the fact that you like it, not in the place of a tube amp or in the place of a more "transparent" di
    FWIW i get a pretty convincing "live at leeds" tone with the bddi by jacking the presence and cutting the treble a bit, and putting the drive just to where it starts to distort