1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sansamp BDDI vs Sansamp Programmable

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stinsok, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Did you choose one over the other?

2. I actually asking myself the same question!:-/

3. I'm* asking....

4. As opposed to letting Grandma choose which you got for your birthday....

5. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I went with the programable VT pedal not just for the versitilty but it seems like it had a couple features (like 2 inputs) that I wanted. Plus I copped a deal on one on eVilbay.

6. Exactly. Although my grandma plays badass bass....

7. Does the programmable one have all the same feature as the "regular" non-programmable Bass driver DI? Thanks.

8. yes, plus 6 preset channels and fx loop programmable on or off in each preset.

Then there are rackmount RBI and RPM versions and floor version of RPM which I forgot the name of, ask Grandma.

9. But Grandma ask me if there's also an parallel 1/4" output on the programmable one ? If not, does it really matter that much ?

10. Grandma told me they sound slightly different, I've owned both and sold the programmable...

11. JP Morin

JP Morin

Mar 15, 2011
    Quebec
    I choose the programmable version (not deluxe version) over the other. I don't regret my choice, especially because I can match the output of my basses or for cleaner/dirtier sound if I want... Nice feature to have for the price difference between both... it worth to get the programmable IMO...

12. JP Morin

JP Morin

Mar 15, 2011
    Quebec
    yes it has...

13. I got a pretty good deal on a used one and Im very happy with it! The SVT propsed set-up is very niiiice.....!

14. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    The Programmable version does not have the parallel output. All the Bass Drivers should sound the same. It's not easy to compare the programmable with the DI version because the programmable uses digi pots vs analog ones. Even between two Bass Driver DI's the same settings will sound slightly different due to the tolerance of the pots. We use a scope to test the units.

FullTime Tim likes this.
  15. Maybe it's because I don't know what pots are (in this context) but I thought that the prpgrammable one was also full analog? Actually, on the tech21 website/sansamp/programmable, we can read " The all-analog circuitry features the same controls as its single channel predecessor".

Thanks for clarifying this...

16. JP Morin

JP Morin

Mar 15, 2011
    Quebec
    mmmhhh... I was thinking the 1/4" output and the XLR to be used as parrallel outputs.. Having the prog. version, iI just saw the none programmable one has 2 x 1/4" parrallel output then... sorry, my mistake, not trying to confuse anybody !! ;)

17. tech21nyc

Aug 17, 2010
    The audio path is full analog. To clarify, "pots" are potentiometers. I guess some people call them knobs, controls, the thingy's you turn that are labeled Drive, Bass, Treble etc. In the case of the programmable we use digi-potentiometers. They are basically 256 resistors and transistors that can be controlled by a digital processor. This allows the end user to save and store presets.

For a unit to be digital in the audio sense you would need to go through an analog to digital converter and then back out through a digital to analog converter. There are no A/D converters in the Bass Driver Programmable.

18. tech21nyc

Aug 17, 2010
    The "parallel" output can be a bit confusing. In "direct box" terminology the parallel output is hardwired to your input. This means that the parallel output delivers the exact signal as your bass with no effects.

19. Thanks for this tech21nyc.

20. mmoore2490

mmoore2490

Jan 8, 2013
    apologies if this seems like a stupid question but the parallel output you said does not carry the effects of the sansamp DI with it? so what is the point of it if i were to xlr to the PA and then parallel out to my amp.

edit: is this the reason for both an output and a parallel output?