Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sansamp BDDI vs sansamp RBI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by panazza, Apr 12, 2005.

1. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I was thinking of selling my sansamp BDDI to buy a sansamp RBI to rackmount it, but a sound engineer told me the RBI sucks compared to the BDDI... when asked what he means by "it sucks" he simply told me "the BDDI sounds better" :eyebrow:

did someone a/b the two sansamps? does the BDDI really sound.... better? :rolleyes:

2. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I did. I had a BDDI borrowed for some time. After that I bought an RBI+power amp setup and despite the differences in output level and the mid control, they sound the same.

ANDRUCA

3. ted13

ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    i've had both and perfered the rbi. the mid knob was VERY useful.

4. I have both and like the rbi for the mids knob too. I biamp running the lows thru the rbi and the highs thru the bddi. Not much difference in the sounds of them though.....

5. Hey there, I'm interested in doing the opposite of what you're doing. I had an RBI I used in a pre/power setup, but since going to my GBE600 I don't use the RBI at all. I would like the BDDI for adding a bit of flare occasionally though. PM me if you'd like to swap + cash on your end.

6. damn... you're in Italy :(

7. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    yeah.... too far from you... :bawl:

8. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Told TBer panazza to PM you, 'cause he's looking for an RBI in Italy.

ANDRUCA

9. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    he is in texas.... a bit far from italy.... :rolleyes:

10. I prefer the BDDI...easier to move around and sounds the same as the RBI

I use the mid control on my basses......don't want another on in the loop.

11. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Sorry! My mistake! BIG misunderstanding on my part!

ANDRUCA

12. I like the BDDI, easy to get about, the RBI is good for if you have a rack setup as is tho

If i was to get rid of my BDDI, i would buy the new programable one

14. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I agree on the mid control not being such a must have. The only reason I see to buy the RBI is to go direct into a power amp (that's what I did). In fact, I use my mid control flat. ;)

ANDRUCA

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The only thing I can think of is that the RBI was defective, or the levels not set properly.

I own a BDDI and an RBI. The RBI is more flexible (mid control, add'l outputs and level controls), but IME tone is exactly the same when the mid control is set flat.

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I should add that it's possible your RBI will sound different than your BDDI as follows: most (including myself) use the BDDI as a pedal, in front of an amp head or pre/power rack. OTOH, the RBI is typically racked and run straight into a power amp (I do this). If the BDDI sounds different in this case, then obviously it's because of the additional preamp in the signal chain.