Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SansAmp BDDIs plus Sonic Maximizers

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ChaosHappy, Apr 30, 2001.

1. ChaosHappy

ChaosHappy

Apr 10, 2000
    I just read through a thread about BBE Sonic Maximizers. Almost all of the responses were positive. I have a SansAmp Bass Driver DI and i was wondering if a BBE sonic maximizer used in conjunction with the SansAmp will improve my sound enough to justify the cost. Or are the two devices so similiar that it would not be worth it? I liked the improvement in sound that the BDDI brought about and if a sonic maximizer could do more for my sound then even better. thanks.

2. They're not terribly similar, except in that they both stand to improve your sound (can't vouch for the BBE, i've never heard one). I'm in the same boat. Only advice i can give is, try one and see - and then tell me what you think.

3. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I have both, actually my preamp is the BBE 383 (now out of production) which is a basic preamp with the BBE circuit built in. Believe me, the BBE circuit stays on 24/7 and really sweetens the sound. I use the SansAmp inline as an fx pedal, mainly for the the tube emulation.

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I also use both, but they are not at all similar.

I'd say the BBE will do more for your sound regardless of what you are running.

Both of them together sound very sweet.

5. Thanks gents, i'm clioser to buying one ....

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I should add that while I use mine at all times when playing, the effect is subtle when compared to most 'effects'. I keep both controls below 5, but around that mark.

It's not one of those units that competes with the frequencies in your signal and demands "Listen to me! Listen to all the cool things I can do to your sound!". It's more like a unit that calmly asks "So waddya think?"

I would say it's a dramatic improvement, because I haven't heard any other units that do what this one does(not that there aren't ones out there). It's dramatic, but with a very subtle approach.

7. dblbassted

dblbassted

Mar 21, 2001
    Memphis, Tn.
    FYI, Musicians Friend is selling their basic BBE (the 264, I think) unit for 59 bucks.... I ordered one today. Email me in a week and I'll let you know how it is.

8. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I too own a BDDI and absolutely love it. I've heard pretty nice things about the BBE Sonic Maximizers and I'm very curious.

Do I really need the 482 SM or will the 264 Sonic Max. do the job well. I have a Hartke head and a Peavey 410TXF cab (with only one input jack). So, will the 264 ($60) be good enough, or is the 482 ($199) a lot better??

My questionis basically, what's the use of the 482 ability to run stereo if I only have one cab???? Please help me, my effects and signal processors knowledge is limited.

Thanks...

9. The 264 has RCA jacks (you'll need an adapter, and it's another link in the signal chain, potentially [minutely] degrading the signal), and has only low contour + process %(not high contour as well) knobs ... the same circuit, essentially, but it looks more geared towards home Hi-Fi and maybe DJ applications ... no reason i can see not to use it in a rig, if the 2 points above don't concern you ... and it's lots cheaper ..

10. dblbassted

dblbassted

Mar 21, 2001
    Memphis, Tn.
    My 264 came from MF today and I'm really surprised by how well it works. The effect is subtle, but it really does tighten up the low end and makes the bass sound louder without any real volume increases. My only complaint is the small amount of hiss genrated by the unit. It's really not even all that noticeable unless you're listening for it.

Way worth the 60 bucks, by the way.

11. camerondye

camerondye

Nov 7, 2000
    I have the BBE Stinger pedal and I love it. They don't make these anymore though. It is basically a sonic maximizer in a pedal form, it has bass and treble knobs and that's it. Basic but highly effective.
    cam