Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sansamp box / RBI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by a e i o u, Nov 27, 2003.

1. my amp clips alot so people told me that getting a sansamp box or rack will help me get more volume with out clipping so early. is this true? Also, if i were to get one, would the RBI wokr well with a normal head or is it more for a poweramp only?

2. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i'm not sure that a sansamp will help with the clipping problem. i think it might actually make it worse. i could be wrong though. it seems that maybe a more powerful amp would be a better solution.

i'm using my bddi as a preamp with my rmx 1450 right now...and i'm having a bit of a problem cutting through. i think it's a combination of the bddi not driving my poweramp to it's fullest power, and the tone of the sansamp. right now i'm just waiting until i have the money for an svp pro.

so anyway...maybe look into more power?

3. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i tried replying once, but i think i messed up...so if this comes up twice...sorry.

anyway...i don't know that the sansamp will help with the clipping. i'd think it would make it worse than it is now. that would help with getting a different tone, but not really with power.

right now i'm using my bddi as a preamp with my rmx 1450. i'm having alittle bit of a problem cutting through the way i'd like to, but i think it's a combination of the bddi not pushing my poweramp to it's fullest power, and the overall tone of the sansamp. i'm just waiting until i have the money to get an svp pro.

4. What if I used to RBI as a pre amp, and used my head as a power amp? Would this help at all?

5. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i think that would work, but like i said, i'm not sure it would help with your clipping problem. it seems like you need more power/headroom. what kind of amp do you have now?

6. ampeg b2r

i think im gonna just have to stick with it till my band starts playing shows, then sell it to someone and buy a good amp. It sucks cause this head is only 1 month old. I was all excited when I figures a sansamp thing would help me but i guess not

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I guess the theory is a blend of 'tube watts sound louder than solid state watts' and 'the Sansamp stuff gives tubey warmth' into 'the Sansamp stuff will give tube power to a solid state amp'.

I don't think that's a particularly solid theory... but how loud are you playing? How do you normally set up the controls on the amp? There might still be ways to get a suitable volume out of the amp without clipping and without spending money on yet more gear.

Wulf

ps. I love my Sansamp Bass Driver DI so I'm not saying don't get one... I am just unsure that it will solve the problems you're having.

8. would you say if I were to get one, should I get the RBI or the little one? Does the RBI do anything different except for the midrange and style select? Could I use it as an actual good sounding pre amp if I needed to step up to a power amp? Im thinking I could get the RBI and have it help me in the tone department for a while, and if I need the power for shows, I can just get a power amp.

9. i've just finished building my new rig. which consists of an RBI preamp, Gemini power amp, and Glock cab.

this rig was a long term project, and i bought each part seperatly and then saved up for the next. the first part of the rig that i bought was the Sansamp RBI. and i loved the sound of it so much i couldn't wait till i had the rest of the rig, so i used it with the combo i had at the time (Peavey Combo 115). i plugged my bass into the RBI, and the RBI into the instrument input on the amp. when using this setup, i found that i could play louder and with less clipping.

and as i said, i now use the RBI as a preamp in my rig. and it's great for it.

Tom

10. What would I get if I pluged my bass into the RBI, and plug the RBI into the instrument input for my head?

11. What would I get if I pluged my bass into the RBI, and plug the RBI into the instrument input for my head?

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You would get a double tone boost, which might make the amp MORE likely to clip. Sounds like your problem is from your amp being underpowered, or you "overuse" your EQ and overdrive the power section of your amp.

My opinion, but the Sansamp's are nice for beefing up a cheap amp, and aren't that useful when plugged through a decent amp. Your Ampeg already has a good EQ section. Unless you need one of these for recording, I'd save the money for a more powerful amp.

13. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    You need more power IMO.

Like Eric said, you will be overdriving your poweramp with all that preamp "tone" in hopes of getting more volume.

Here is what I do, and I clip too much:

I plug my bass into my RBI and the RBI into the effects return of my head (fender 300bxr), thus bypassing the preamp section of my head, but, by doing this, I have no simple voume control or no output level of the poweramp section of my head... if I plug the RBI into the instrument input, I can then turn the volume up just about all the way on the head, but all the levels on the RBI have to be very low or it is just too frickin loud!! and this = bad tone (IMO) but it doesn't clip nearly as easily.

We need tons of power so we can drive our power amps hard with our preamps without them clipping. Atleast that is what I have come to believe. We need speakers that can handle tons of power too, so that they don't get overdrivin by all that power from our... power!