Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp - decisions decisions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lokire, Nov 1, 2005.

1. I'm pretty well set on getting a Sansamp unit and now I just have to decide which one :p

It would have been an easy choice for the RBI, but then I read that Dirk Lance (Incubus) used a PSA-1 so I looked that up and found that it does guitar tones as well. I'm primarily a bassist but I like to play a bit guitar on the side as well. I've bought and sold a (guitar) POD XT twice now, to fund bass gear and I'm thinking that with a PSA-1 I could have some good guitar tones as well as the sansamp bass tones that I'm after.

So my question is, how big is the difference between the Bass tones on the PSA-1 and the RBI? Is it basically the same, classic Sansamp tones with the added bonus of some guitar tones, or is it like a dulled down version of the RBI?

I guess the real question is, would I be willing to sacrifice a little bass tone for some added guitar tones (which I don't really need but would like to have)? Hmm....I'm not sure :meh:

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    the psa-1 is made for guitar and bass. check out the sound samples at www.tech21nyc.com I have an RBI but I only play bass. its nice, less expensive than some, but not programmable like the psa1 or the new 3 preset DI. just listening to samples I think it sound better than pod.

3. I did listen to the soundclips and they sounds great. I do think the POD XT is better for guitar and really love how it sounds, but I can't seem to justify keeping it just for my hobby guitar playing when I really do need a bass amp rig.

Nevermind - Looks like my money is going elsewhere now anyways... :D

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    well, actually what I meant was the PSA1 IS kind of a beefed up RBI and might be a cool way TO COMBINE a bass AND guitar rig.

5. jchikhale

jchikhale

Feb 25, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    i have a psa-1 in my rig and this thing is incredible. i am having a custom loop control system built so that a midi pedal will select an effect loop (via a custom rack unit) and also selects a preset on the psa-1 for a custom tone control to optimize each loop. anyways- it also has monstrous presets for guitar. it is awesome if you can afford one. plus the pro quality pre amp signal.. this thing is great.

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    AND you love it for bass tone too!! I'm assuming yes.