1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sansamp DI as a stomp box?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I've been looking for a good pedal to make my solid state combo (Ampeg 210-SP) sound like a tube, and my best bet is the Sansamp DI as the looks of it. But I've read alot of bad things about using it as a stomp box, but could I still try? Could I set the combo flat and use the DI as the pre-amp? (If this sounds dumb, It's because I don't know anything ;P)

I'm not at the level where I am going to be recording, just jamming with some friends. But I seriously want that dirty tube overdrive tone D:

If the Sansamp is really that futile as a stomp box, I'm just going to pitch for a Fulltone BassDrive.

Edit - Reading up on Tool, Justin says he uses this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030410210320068012185242784823/search/g=home?q=sansamp+gt2

Think I'd have more luck with this, or should I not bother?

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    One of the great things about the bassdriver is it's flexibility. You can use it as a straght DI, a preamp, or as an effect in the traditional sense. Back when I was using a Carvin R600 head as my amp I put a SansAmp in front of it to fatten up the sound. I left it on the whole time. now that I have a kern preamp there's no need for the SansAmp as a preamp. I use it as an overdrive pedal now and it works great.

3. I use the bassdriver infront of my SM-900,sounds like a big tube amp.

It's the best thing anyone can do to try and get a Chancellor-ish tone without spending big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$