Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp DI as a stomp box?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Apr 10, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I've been looking for a good pedal to make my solid state combo (Ampeg 210-SP) sound like a tube, and my best bet is the Sansamp DI as the looks of it. But I've read alot of bad things about using it as a stomp box, but could I still try? Could I set the combo flat and use the DI as the pre-amp? (If this sounds dumb, It's because I don't know anything ;P)

I'm not at the level where I am going to be recording, just jamming with some friends. But I seriously want that dirty tube overdrive tone D:

If the Sansamp is really that futile as a stomp box, I'm just going to pitch for a Fulltone BassDrive.

Edit - Reading up on Tool, Justin says he uses this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030410210320068012185242784823/search/g=home?q=sansamp+gt2

Think I'd have more luck with this, or should I not bother?

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    One of the great things about the bassdriver is it's flexibility. You can use it as a straght DI, a preamp, or as an effect in the traditional sense. Back when I was using a Carvin R600 head as my amp I put a SansAmp in front of it to fatten up the sound. I left it on the whole time. now that I have a kern preamp there's no need for the SansAmp as a preamp. I use it as an overdrive pedal now and it works great.

3. I use the bassdriver infront of my SM-900,sounds like a big tube amp.

It's the best thing anyone can do to try and get a Chancellor-ish tone without spending big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$