Sansamp DI as preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joeybcdt, Jun 26, 2004.

1. joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    Is there any reason why I couldn't/shouldn't use a Sansamp Bass Driver DI pedal as a preamp in a pre/power amp setup? I spoke with someone today that told me that there are players out there using Crest amps with no preamp at all.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    It all depends on whether or not the BDDI has enough output voltage to drive your power amp to full output. Input sensitivity varies from power amp to power amp.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Generally, it is not the best for a preamp. It does work though. With my crown power amp, it was plenty loud. Like billy says, it all depends on the sensitivity of the amp.
  4. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I have a couple of buddies who use the sansamp with just a power amp. I think it sounds great from out in the crowd and like the previous posters have stated - there's nothing technically wrong with doing it like that.
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  6. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    The times I've used it as a preamp straight into the power amp section of my head (an old Hartke) it seemed fine.
  7. There is nothing technically wrong with doing this. Your only issue is with the power amps input sensitivity. I use a similar pedal (Aguilar db924) to drive my QSC USA 900 and it sounds great to my ears. I had to overcome the issue of not driving my power amp to full power. I solved this issue by adding a graphic EQ to my signal chain between my pedal and the power amp. This boosted my gain to the power section sufficiently.

If your rig is loud enough without any mods to your power amp or adding a boost to your signal you're all set.

If you like how it sounds you're all set.

You can (and I have) run an active bass straight to the power amp with good sounding results but not a great deal of volume. That is essentially what a preamp is for.

Consider the fact that the front of house sound is provided essentially by a DI (such as your Sansamp) into a power section (the PA). The idea of this type of setup is not new and is completely legitimate.

Hope this helps.