Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp DI -> overdrive ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AllodoX, Sep 22, 2002.

1. So i'm looking for a good, clean overdrive to accompany (sp?) my big muff PI.

I like the way the fulltone bassdrive sounds, but i'm wondering..

If i were to use the sansamp DI purely as an overdrive pedal, what kind of sound am i up for ?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yes, you can use it as a regular overdrive pedal.
    It delivers a light tubelike overdrive, sort of like a pushed svt.

This, as long as you're talking about the BassDriver and not about the initial discontinued Bass DI.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I used to own one, and the overdrive sound on it was pretty good. A lot of "balls" to the sound, if you get what I mean. Didn't sound thin, weak, or buzzy.

4. yeah it's the bass driver DI..

any chance of samples ? :)

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I recorded this one with my Washburn (active pups) and my Sansamp Bass driver DI.

Click me!

I have the drive on full in this sample (IIRC), but you can also lower it to your taste.

Forgive me for my suckiness ;)

6. Nice.. can you record another one with full range ? ( specially the E and B ;) )

b.t.w. listened to the mp3's on your site... nice music.. but that singer.. :eek:

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Yup, I´ll record it for you very soon!

And about our singer...well, we fired him in february this year ;)
    We have had no luck finding a good singer since then :eek:

8. If the Fulltone bass overdrive is anything like the FD2, I'd go for it simply because of the quality and flexibility of the unit. You've got overdrive and boost both compressed and uncompressed.

On the other hand, I like the SABDDI, and I think everone should have one. But I DON'T think I'd buy it purely as an effect.

9. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I agree on the SABDDI, I prefer to use it as a DI only. Although I don't like distorted bass per se, I use an EBS MultiDrive all the time for some very mild tubelike breakup of the signal, just to make the sound a bit more interesting for blues and rock. I have owned a Fulltone, and it was very good for overdrive type sounds, but I couldn't find arguments for keeping both the MultiDrive and the Fulltone, so I sold it. The character of distortion seems to be a very personal thing, so just try all pedals you can find. I have read many posts from people that like the overdrive from the SABDDI, and just as many that don't.

Edit: Just couldn't get that SABBBDDDDIII right... :)

10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I agree. Right now I use it as a preamp between my bass and Carvin head. Once I get my kern pre I'll most likely use it as a stomp box for overdrive. It's one of things that's just nice to have. For example, sometimes my band gets together for a light practice that's not worth hauling my rig to. So I just run a signal from my SABDDI to the PA and it works great. It's also great for recording.

As for the overdrive, I like it. But I've heard some people say they don't like it because it is too generic for them. As always, YMMV.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

As you could hear by the sample that Icez posted the SABDDI can produce good overdrive. My caveat would be that that is not its primary function: the SABDDI struggles to produce consistent fuzzy overdrive with a low-output bass, such as my Fender Roscoe Beck 5. That is not a problem for me, because I don't use the SABDDI for overdrive, I just use it for a smidge of grit.

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    are these good for that edge billy sheehan has? i've always dug that tone.