Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp DI vs MXR M-80

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by publicstate, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Sansamp DI

28 vote(s)
    68.3%
  2. MXR M-80 DI

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
  1. ONLY VOTE IF YOU'VE TRIED BOTH OF THEM!!!

I realize that each has their benefits...
    I've played on the Sansamp DI pedal and I loved it...:)
    But I haven't been able to find a MXR yet...
    It sounds like it would be pretty good too...

So if you've tried out both, please vote and tell me which you personally preferred...

Thanks,
    publicstate

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I've owned both - and still have the Dunlop. To my ears the Sansamp impacted the clarity of the highs and the Dunlop doesn't. I use it to go into the PA without using the overdrive/distortion capabilities (the Dunlop distortion seems much harsher but I don't use it so I don't care).

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    They are totally different. I own and use both. The Sansamp, to me, has a much better sound when used as a pre-amp. It really does warm up the sound, the tube emulation actually works. The MXR doesn't do that at all. I iuse it for an eq and a drive box that's footswitchable..

4. I haven't tried the SABDDI, so I'm not voting, but I'll say that I LOVE my M-80. It sounds great, it's really tough, it's easy to use, and I love the separate volume controls.

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    keep voting, im also in the middle of those two pedals... your vote is important

6. Haven't tried the m-80, but I own the sansamp, and love it. Don't use it for overdrive *I have an overdrive pedal and a Big Muff pi for that stuff* but the tube emulation is great. If makes any amp sound better. Very sturdy, and very easy to use.

7. bump... :)
    -publicstate

8. pudgefactor

pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    Boston
    I tried both many times and bought the Sansamp. The distortion on the M80 is pretty harsh and I
    didn't like it. The Sansamp IMO is a much better pre-amp and offers the warmer toning ability of the two.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I thought that at first too, but I set the gain really low about 7 o'clock with a about a 60-40 clean to dirty blend, then run that through a Q-tron and I get a really sweet overdriven sound.

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I agree with the previous answers.

If you're looking for a DI with a nice harsh distortion and a 3 band EQ get the MXR.

Now, if you want to sound like you're plugged in a SVT amp, nothing beats the SanSamp.

11. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I got my Sansamp this week and have been working with it. Exactly the same results posted here and at harmonycentral. It has thickened and warmed up the sound which is what I wanted. Very well built too.

12. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I've got the MXR and play through a SABDDI weekly also, just don't own the SABDDI. The MXR does for my combo amp what I've heard the SABDDI will do. It makes it sound a WHOLE BUNCH better. Into my REAL amp(rack set-up) it doesn't improve things. I don't mind if the dist. is harsh because I don't use dist.. I will however blend in just a smidge to add a little grit, but I don't consider that small amount as distortion. I like the fact that the 3 band eq is switchable as well as the distortion channel, and that each one has its own volume. It seems to be the most flexible of the two and the least expensive. I don't regret getting mine, I needed a DI box primarily and just got all the cool features as "extras".
    Bottom line, you can't go wrong with either one.
    I that doesn't help alot.
    K