1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sansamp DI, VT pedal, or nothing?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by edgaroviz, Aug 16, 2012.

1. edgaroviz

edgaroviz

Aug 8, 2011
    Israel
    I sold my amp, now I won't buy an amp for the next 6-12 months.
    Right now I'm playing through my Vox headphone amp, or with my interface with Ampeg SVX. I thought that maybe I can buy a pedal/pramp that I'll use as a pre, I'm just not sure if it's worth it.

What's the point of these pedals, and are they worth it?
    I saw that the Sansamp DI doesn't have a mid level control, and the VT does, I'd like mid range control over my sound, will it make a noticeable effect on the sound not having mid range control?

Thanks.

2. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    I've owned a BDDI for many years as it's good insurance as a fail safe measure on the gig. Some folks prefer the Para Driver due to the midrange issue you mention.

The VT doesn't have an XLR out. Some people have been getting them modded. Lots of love around TB for these units.

3. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I used my VT strait out into a PA, if your not gigging you dont need a DI, just plug the pedal into a mixer, hell I think you could plug headphones into the output of the VT and be OK!

4. edgaroviz

edgaroviz

Aug 8, 2011
    Israel
    Isn't the para driver for electric guitar, not bass..?
    I'm looking for a growly tube sound, which is better for that, the vt or para driver?

5. Nah, not just for guitar... the Para Driver is the Bass Driver with a mid control. You do sacrifice the Presence knob of the BDDI though.

I've got both a BDDI and VT Bass, they're both great units. I just recently went straight-to-board with the BDDI for a run of Hair (the musical) and it sounded awesome.... fell in love with that pedal all over again. I've got a Tone Hammer on my main board and I'm thinking about swapping the BDDI back in. I've also used it in the studio to great success as well. They have a much more colored sound than other preamps, but I've found that if you're going straight to the house board, they can make a world of difference in your tone.

"Pro" Tip: you can (sort of) "adjust the mids" with the Bass Driver by dialing the bass and treble controls up or down in equal amounts. Not quite as good as having an actual mid control, but don't let not having a mid knob throw you off from a great pedal.

The VT Bass sounds equally awesome. Soundwise, it's a little more flexible between the Character knob and having the mid control, but I don't currently have it on either of my boards since it doesn't have a DI. Putnam Guitars can mod one for you though if it makes a difference. There's also the VT Bass Deluxe... the VT Bass with dual inputs, 6 presets and a DI out.

I'm not really a metal guy at all, but this video is what sold me on getting the VT bass. It'll give you an idea of the sound.

In the end, both pedals are great units and have a really great sound. Just kind of depends on whether you need the DI or not.

5sg.

6. P.S. The effects sale forum currently has a BDDI's for sale for $100 (that's a good deal! I'm sure it won't be around long), a Paradriver and a BDDI Deluxe. Might be worth taking a spin over there to take a look.

5sg.

7. edgaroviz

edgaroviz

Aug 8, 2011
    Israel
    So... I have no idea which I should go with, how different are they?

8. The VT and BDDI are generally pretty close in terms of overall sound. The VT does what the BDDI can do, but allows you to dial up a bit more tonal variety via the Character/Mid knobs. Reference the video I posted at 1:38, that's a pretty standard sound from the BDDI, and then he shows some other sounds in the VT.

I can't tell you which would work better for you, only you'll know that. They're both great pedals, so what I think it boils down to is how much you need the DI vs. the mid control. If you're still torn, Putnam guitars is a Sansamp dealer as well, so you could order a VT from him and have him add the DI all in one shot. If you go that route, I'd also suggest adding the ground lift and pre/post option for only a few bucks more. HOWEVER, at that point you're not far from the price of a VT Bass Deluxe... why not just spend the extra money and go all out? You may not use all the bells and whistles on the VTBD, but it's like combining the VT and BDDI and then adding presets and an additional input.

5sg.

9. On my jazz gig I use the BDDI deluxe set noon ( some mid scoop ) with some pedals in the fx loop, tres handy. I also have my Trace EQ pedal on the output with a bit of a mid bump and lows slightly cut to take some boom out.

It all goes straight into the PA behind us (no vocal mic to feed back). The barstaff are very complimentary of the sound as well they should be. This is electric "jazz" 3 piece. Keys leaves the low registers to me so I'm very forward in the mix compared to a 4 piece rock band.

I think the paradriver in the deluxe format would be killer. Being able to choose your own mid shift frequency is so much better. I get that and more with my EQ pedal. The drive seems the same between the BDDI and the RBI so presume it's same in the paradriver. It adds a nice warmth or you can crank it.

Although the VT calls out GAS to me I'm happy with the sound I have.

I'm sure there are some direct comparison threads out there if you search, but only your ears will judge in the end. Easy to pick up one of each off the classifieds and keep the one you like.

10. edgaroviz

edgaroviz

Aug 8, 2011
    Israel
    oops, sorry, I was sure I wrote this, I was considering the para driver, or the VT bass.

11. yes, sorry to give a damn about that.

12. edgaroviz

edgaroviz

Aug 8, 2011
    Israel
    Thanks guys for the comments, I think I'm going for the para driver, looks like it's what I'm looking for. Too bad the shop doesn't have anyone of them on display.