Sansamp DI....***?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by thebates, Jul 9, 2013.

1. thebates

thebates

Jan 2, 2011
    I do a weekly gig at a beach resort restaurant that has issues with Twp. sound ordinances. So no equipment other than our instruments. They have a Sansamp Bass Driver DI up on the stage for me to plug into. There is a good size monitor right behind me (2-12"s) The sound is driving me effin crazy...It's all low freq. bottom end. No mids, no highs, no punch, no definition, no growl... I even tried using a pick....didn't help. I'm considering bringing my practice amp to use as a monitor so I can at least get some stage tone that I can hear. Anyone familiar with going direct like this?

2. Adjust the SansAmp to get a better sound.

3. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    If only I were that good....
    What are your settings at?

4. Yes. I play through one of these all the time - killer tone

5. Do they have your signal split at the board and you're just getting sent to the subs?

I used to bring a small 15 watt practice amp to church gigs to help with monitoring myself. Worked great and wasn't loud enough to bother anyone.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Did you think to actually TOUCH the knobs on the BDDI? That would help a lot. If you are getting only thud, either you haven't actually SET the thing, or something is going through a crossover and you are only getting the subs signal.

7. Adjust the BDDI settings - and if it still sounds like mud, go talk to the soundman, and if he’s no help - use a Rolls PM50S inline right after the BDDI with IEM, or use your practice amp, or stop booking that gig. Good luck.

8. thebates

thebates

Jan 2, 2011
    I stepped on the unit's foot switch and a hellatious sound emerged. All the controls looked to be at about the 12 o'clock position. Anyway I turned it back (off?). I didn't want to blow anything. I'll see if I can download the manual....maybe go early and start from scratch.

9. thebates

thebates

Jan 2, 2011
    Also i'll look into possible signal split as mentioned.
    Thanks all......

10. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!" Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    a couple things...

zero out the settings on the bass driver and TURN IT ON. Next, put all of the knobs at 12 o'clock EXCEPT FOR the Level knob. Bring it up slowly until the volume is reasonable. Then tweak the tone to your liking. The Drive and Bass knobs can muddy up your sound in a hurry, so be aware. The Blend knob mixes in your DRY sound (counterclockwise) with full emulation (clockwise full) or anywhere in between. Many use it with some amount of dry bass in there (noon, +/-).

The bass driver is essentially designed to be used with a full range PA system from its 1/4 and XLR outputs. The parallel output is for uneffected use with a stage amp. Is the 2x12 monitor that is behind you a powered monitor? combo amp? Or what exactly? How is the signal getting to this cabinet?

11. Start with the "Level", "Blend", and "Drive" off. ;)

12. thebates

thebates

Jan 2, 2011
    Thanks...not sure about the monitor. I know the kick drum and myself was coming through it. But it's mixed on the board so it's powered or coming through as an amplified signal from board. I'll give your suggestions a go.

13. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!" Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Ahhh. OK. If it is stage monitoring then it should be a full range speaker and they should be able to EQ that monitor to sound reasonable for your bass with the SansAmp. But why is the kick drum in that mix? If that speaker is intended for you, then you should take care to make sure your sound is predominant in the speaker, and that the kick drum (and anything else) should be an afterthought, put in that speaker cabinet only if necessary. Does the drummer have his own stage monitor speaker?

14. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Sounds like they are using this cab as subwoofer, sendig kick and bass lower frequencies. Talk to the soundman and figure out what exactly is feeding the cab.

15. Eric_71

Eric_71

Jul 22, 2011
    MSP
    It could also be the monitor mix for both the drummer and bassist, like if it's a non-digital mixer with just A and B channels for monitors.

At least I think that would be possible. Right?

16. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    For what it's worth, here are the settings that have worked best for me. It took me several years and a lot of help from TalkBass to figure these out, but I now go with:

Level - unity (i.e., set it to wherever the volume level that comes out when it's engaged is the same as when it's not)

Blend - no higher than noon (i.e., a 50-50 split of your natural bass sound and the SansAmp; the higher the Blend is set, the more SansAmp and the less of your bass sound goes to the board)

Bass, Treble and Presence - all 9 o'clock NO HIGHER

Drive - no higher than noon

Also, nothing says you have to engage the SansAmp at all if you don't like what it's doing to your sound. It works just fine as a passive direct box too... in fact, I run mine straight to the board in my main band and I only engage it about 30% of the time and the rest of the time it's just passing-through my pure bass signal. Frankly, sometimes I think my P-Bass sounds better in FOH with the SansAmp off than with it on.

17. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    whereas i'm all about what the sansamp does to the sound!

for me it's blend at 100%, drive backed way off, EQ and presence around noon, and level set to appropriate volume. that gives me a fat, grindy rock tone with my P-bass that soundmen invariably just love. run it into a power amp and some nice cabs and i'm done; who needs a "bass amp"?

anyway, if this speaker is pumping both bass and kick, all with no mids or highs, you might indeed be suffering with some sort of half-assed sub on stage. that's ridiculous, and shouldn't be happening. subs belong strictly out in front of the band, providing the boom to the audience.

i'd just bring my own amp. no law says that you have to be too loud with it.

18. What Bass are you using?

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I am very familiar with going direct like that. A little too darn familiar. Absolutely bring a practice amp. Most monitors, unless they're really good, suck for bass, and even those that don't end up being real bright, way too bright for me.

20. Definitely something messed up with the monitor feed.

In a similar situation my BDDI is almost nooned with an extra EQ boosting mids a bit, Blend 100%, Presence 9 o'clock.