Sansamp Dilemma

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Brown Shark, May 8, 2005.

1. Im just about to drop some coin on the programmable Sansamp BDDI, but have a dilemma regarding the signal path. I currently use my original Sansamp BDDI on two settings - one for tone colouring and another for overdrive. Currently, if I am playing a song with it in the tone colouring settings and I want to go to the overdrive settings, I have to bend down and change it between song (not good if you are starting the next song!). Hence my GAS for one of the programmable beasts.

My plan is to have a setting on the programmable BDDI for tone colouring and another for the overdrive, so I dont have to change my settings. The problem lies with where would I put it in my signal chain? Currently I have my original BDDI have it last on my pedal board before my amp, so all the effects feed into it before being sent to the amp. When I change the settings to overdrive, I reroute the output of the Sansamp to in front of my Crybaby wah, as wah is the only effect I use with overdrive (and I much prefer the overdrive then wah sound, than the other way!). So with the programmable BDDI, I eliminate the need to bend over to change my settings, but I dont want to have to still change plug and unplug in between songs.

Any suggestions for where I should put the programmable sansamp in my signal chain? Do I need an A/B box or a looper (keep in mind, loopers are very rare and very $$$ in Aust) to be able to achieve what I want? Should I just stick with my current sansamp (I was going to move this to another board or sell it once I got a programmable) and restart the endless search for bass overdrive? :help:
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you really like the tone you get,find another SansAmp 2nd hand for cheap (they should be easy to spot now that the programmable one is out) and use it as an overdrive.
  3. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia

I think i have a solution for you.

There are some pedals around that change the position of your pedal within the signal chain. So you would hit your tone colour setting, then hit a stompbox to switch the pedals position over.

Here is one version made by indyguitarist:

these ones are true bypass.
  4. Could a Boss Line Selector pedal help in this situation? Maybe with a combination of AB boxes?
  5. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    the pedal switcher would seem to me to do exactly what you need... it might be a little messy, but it would be cleaner than trying to a/b and im not sure if thats really plausible.
  6. Thanks xan - it looks heaps cleaner than anything else I could come up with (I could do it with three AB boxes!). Im still trying to get my head around how it works and where I need to put it in my signal chain, but its an excellent suggestion. I might contact Brian to see if he can help me!
  7. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    could you use a booster pedal to boost the imput to the sansamp?
  8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

A Loooper with Loop Assign option will do that too.
    This can only work if you don't use your XLR output.
  9. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Yeah send brian an email, he will probably put you onto Tim Jauernig who actually builds the pedals, but both are very helpful. Good luck.
  10. IndyGuitarist

Jun 13, 2005
    Actually, I contract with Tim when I'm running behind -- he's one of the few people I trust to build a pedal quickly and with quality. So, you never know -- sometimes I build them, sometimes Tim does. :D

Take care,
  11. Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    Have you seen this? Its a wobo true bypass looper with an inverse switch to change the configuration. So you could have your Sansamp before wah one minute then after with a click of the button, genious!

Heres a link if your interested
    I think you can buy on their website but I bought mine from ebay.
  12. Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    I am a little confused as to why you don't just put your wah after the SABBDI.
  13. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Why not just buy an OD pedal? I use the SansAmp for colouring and run an OD into it when I want overdrive. I also really like the sound of some ODs run through the SansAmp.

Gives you more flexibility. Of course, you would have to find an OD that you like as much as the SansAmp.