Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp for low end distortion?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Jan 24, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm not quite sure if this would go in "Amps" or "Effects."

Can a sansamp be used with a head to specifically give the lower frequencies distortion and leaving the mids and highs clean? I can do this by combining the channels on my Peavey Mark III by turning the gain all the way up, boosting the bass, and cutting everything else, but the mode control on Channel A, then on Channel B, use my normal settings, using the mix channel jack and selecting channels with the footswitch.

If I cut the all but the bass on the Sansamp RBI, and used the footswitch, would it be possible to obtain the same effect?

~Patrick

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    bizzump

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Your suggestion about the RBI would not work in a mono setup, because you'd lose most of your mids and treble, and the mids and treble that did remain would be dirty. If you split your signal and used one preamp for clean tone and the RBI for dirty lows, that might work.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I see. I never thought of it that way. Hmm. Backto the drawing board.

~Patrick

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    What if I ran the RBI through the FX loop? Wouldn't it then bypass the preamp?

~Patrick