Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp good for jazz?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Si-bob, May 1, 2003.

1. Just wondered if the sansamp is good for jazz (upright, straight to board), and other such middle of the road/acoustic music where going straight to a PA is easier then lugging an amp for.
    i get the impression is only good for slightly more aggressive music?

Cheers

*Si*

2. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I am not an upright player, but I do use a SansAmp, and I think it'd be fine. It is NOT just for agressive music; it is a DI designed to give you a "miked rig" sound, and it also has a overdrive function that you don't have to use if you don't want to.

3. i'm basically after a DI box with some EQ ability (the EUB i'm getting has no preamp), and this has it.

*Si*

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm thinking it would work just fine. OTOH, I've never tried it with an EUB, so there you go.

5. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    You mignt check out the Sansamp for acoustic guitar. It does not have the overdrive and it does have a mid control with a switchable frequency. I was told at one time that the bass, treble and presence were set at the same frequency. I would check it to be sure. To me this would be the lick! I wish the bass version had a mid shift. I have enough eq. options to make up for it though.

You could also just get an eq pedal fairly cheap. I think I got my boss for about $60.

FYI
    Link for Sansamp acoustic at MF
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...6008962542/g=home/search/detail/base_id/35163

6. with_a_coupon

with_a_coupon

May 1, 2003
    hey people out of interest what is a DI box and is it good for?
    lol sorry for being so uneducated

7. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    It is for connecting your bass to a microphone input cable to run you bass in to a PA system or a mixing board for recording.

I can't give you the technical explanation for it, but it gets the bass and the board talking on the same kind of signal.

There are passive DI boxes and then there are ones with tone controls too. The Sansamp bass DI has some tone controls (bass, treble and presence)and also a little overdrive as well.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    For upright, I'd look at the SansAmp Acoustic DI. It has a semi-parametric mid control, and no drive control.

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I have a Sansamp Acoustic DI for the acoustic with a Realist pickup, and the instrument sounds twice as good going through it.

Even with the EQ completely flat, it cuts down on microphonic harshness and smooths things out. It's also as small as you can get while staying practical, and is pretty indesctructible.

BTW, it has the same tube sim circuitry as the Bass Driver DI, so you can still get some good overdrive by turning up "blend." The only thing you really lose from the BDDI is the footswitch.

Thumbs up.