1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sansamp GT2 vs Darkglass B3K

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Exo-Politician, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Greetings Mortals and Bass Gods,

So I am in the market for a heavy overdrive pedal and these 2 pedals I just cannot decide between. They both sound amazing both in demos and in recordings.

I was in the process of buying a B7K but it sold before I had a chance to try it.

I can get both these pedals locally for a good price.

What's your call Talkbass?

2. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    The GT-2 relies on Opamp clipping which isn't ideal in even the best circumstances. The B3K relies on CMOS clipping which is much more natural and pleasing. The GT-2 has more control but they both have similar EQ structures.

I look at the Darkglass as Sansamps with better clipping.

Full Disclosure: I've owned and loved both of them. My preference changes daily.

3. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Ultimately though...I prefer pedals that accept batteries. I dont like pedal boards. I like the simplicity of a single pedal without having to worry about a power supply.

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The GT2 loses a fair bit of low end. When I had mine on my board I was only able to get a workable sound using a blender with it.
    It sounded awesome once I got that taken care of though.

tom_ric likes this.
  5. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I haven't used a GT2, but I have had a BDDI and VT Bass. I use a B3K now. Both Sansamps that I had were a little too clanky in the high range, and extended further up than I had preferred. The B3K has a more natural grind in the highs, and seems to stay out of the tweeter range. Not sure if the GT2 does the same thing though.

6. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Oh man there's no comparison. At all. B3K all the way. Itll be more versatile and sound much better. To me, the GT2 was woody and stale. I know a few bassists out there have found great sounds in that box, but I wasn't one of them. The B3K is what I would go with without a doubt. Its a bass OD afterall. So you dont like power supplies huh. Well, the B3K is still the one Id go with. Every time.

7. tom_ric

tom_ric

Aug 14, 2009
    Israel
    +1
    I have both. If you don't have a blender I believe the b3k will better suit you.

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you want a musically heavy sounding pedal, I would say go with the darkglass b3k. if you want more of a smooth warm overdrive that has a significant mid-range presence, check out the darkglass vmt. I own one and it sounds pretty cool. I've been using it as my smooth overdrive. if you want something different, check out the markbass mini bass distortion pedal or the ebs metaldrive.