Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp into Art LeVelar to push a power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Just wondering. I know the Sansamp is not enough by itself to push a power amp. Do you think the LeVelar would boost that signal enough to be useable?

2. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Use the 1/4" output on the Sansamp. Plenty of output to drive any power amp. With the blend knob you really don't need a Levelar for compression either.

3. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Tech 21's literature will lead you to believe that the BDDI can drive a power amp. I am going to try it at next practice.

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I've heard BDDI users say that the output level is lower than a standard non-pedal preamp, but if the amp is big enough (subjective) then you'll get a usable output volume, but not as loud as using a proper preamp.

5. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    What if your bass is Active? Will that help heat the signal?

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    If you talk to Lloyd Schwartz at Tech21, he can tell you the mod to boost the output voltage capability.

7. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I'd be kinda skeered to open it up and tinker with it. Unless it is a matter of simply turning a screw, etc. I don't trust myself. I have soldered my own pickups with success, but it wasn't pretty.

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    It involves just opening the cover and unsoldering a small surface-mount resistor. I don't recall the details (I do have an e-mail from him describing it; I'll see if I can find it), but it seems about as easy as it gets. ;)

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Hey, it wasn't too hard to find at all.

Said Lloyd to me:
    Thanks for your inquiry. The Bass Driver's XLR output puts out a -10 dBu signal, but it can be modified to deliver up to +4 by removing a resistor (we can provide the info if needed). The 1/4" output can put out up to 0dBu. It depends on the Level, Drive and tone settings, and the output level of the bass itself.​

And here is the info:
    When you remove the back cover of the Bass Driver, you'll see a "black box". Just to the right of its lower right corner, there's a resistor surrounded by two arrows. It looks like this:

>[]<

Remove it, and you're done! ​

10. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I took the back off this morning. With my very limited electronics knowledge, I am afraid I would mess up a perfectly good Sansamp. I better get the rack mount.

11. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    The specs for the Levelar include:

Output Impedance 600 ohms (xlr) 300 ohms (1/4'')
    Max output level +26dBm (xlr) +20 dBm (1/4)

Does dBM stand for Doobie Brothers Music?

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    :D :D

dBm stands for decibels referenced to 1 milliwatt. In audio, that 1 milliwatt usually is referred to in a 600-ohm load or input impedance, which comes to 0.775 volt RMS. (That's because the telephone companies, who for decades had done more audio interfacing than the rest of the world combined, used to use 600-ohm interfaces everywhere.) Since 600-ohm interfaces are rare now, with bridging interfaces (low output impedance ==> high input impedance) the rule rather than the exception, the technically preferred term is dBu, where "u" stands for "unterminated" (i.e., not loaded down) voltage. I would guess that in this case they use "dBm" to signify that the device is capable of driving a 600-ohm load.

+26 dBu = 15.5 volt rms
    +20 dBu = 7.75 volt rms

So that Levelar has a truly pro-audio output section, similar to what pro line-level processors and mixers can put out. With it, you can comfortably drive any power amp with room to spare.

13. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    That rocks! Thanks for your help with this. The Levelar is not considered a "preamp" but has the same output specs as their Tube MP.

14. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I recieved a Carvin FET 900 from a fellow TB'er today. I hooked my SABBDI into the LeVelar into the amp. It works really well. I only got to try it with my Avatar B210. It sounds somewhat cleaner than the Behringer head I sold. The only drawback is that there is no mid control. Maybe an MXR M-80 would be a little better. So here is my rig: SABDDI (135.00,) Art Levelar (40.00,) Carvin Amp (220.00,) Avatar 210 (190.00)= 550.00(including shipping) for a nifty little rig.