Sansamp Landmark amps - anybody have experience with them?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Maurice Carr, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    I'm upgrading my amp rig and considering a Tech21 Sansamp Landmark 600 or 300. Does anyone own one or at least used one at a gig? What's your experience regards sound, power, ease of settings etc. I can't trial one here in NZ as no dealer would be willing to import one for me to try - I have to do heaps of research.
    The other alternatives are sansamp RBI + sansamp RPM + QSC RMX 859 power amp. Or an EDEN WT400.
    We have a 3 pce rock & blues group plus I play in several church groups where the wide range of music is anything from majestic hymns to fast rock
    Any help most gratefully appreciated - Maurice
  2. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    I have a Landmark 300 Head which I run at 4ohms through two Hartke 8ohm cabs. :cool:

Personally, I love it! I can't count the number of times fellow musicians have complimented me on my tone. :smug:
    I play mainly hard rock, but also use it in a function band where I dial in everything from a cool slap tone for funk/disco through to a traditional warm bass tone for Motown numbers to a cutting mid-boosted tone for eighties pop.

The great thing about it is the ability to combine the two pre-amps it has built in. Both of the preamps produce great sounds but I find that the RBI preamp is great for adding growl and definition and the Acoustic (RPM) preamp is great for getting a solid full bass tone with added control of mids with the parametric Eq. Use them seperately and have two distinct footswitchable bass sounds or combine them for a huge bass tone! If 'growl' & 'grind' are your taste you can get some pretty close approximations of an overdriven SVT, Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, Doug Pinnick (Kings X) & an industrial 'Tool' bass sound. :bassist:

I find the 300 watts at 4 ohms is enough for me (any more and I'm normally playing through a large PA anyway!) but should I need it I will add a QSC as an external power amp.

If you try the RBI and RPM seperately and like them then you will have an idea of what the Landmark amp can do!

Hope this helps.... and good luck in your quest! :)
  3. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    Thanks for that info bro - much appreciated.

4. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    even if the landmark is a modern product, i ususally think to this amp as a great way to achieve classic bass sounds.

by the way i have landmark 600. huge sound.