sansamp making noise...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by resol, May 11, 2005.

1. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    hi everyone - i was just wondering if the BDDI is supposed to make noise as you put up the treble and presence - is it just mine or is it part of the 'sansamp sound'?

this is when i connect my bass to the BDDI to the amp, and it only seems to make the hissy sound when i connect to the wet output (not the DI out or parallel out)
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That sounds partially like it could be poor shielding in the cables. But one thing about effects like the sansamp is that they have gain circuitry which will amplify anything. This includes any kind of noise that may be present elsewhere. No gain circuit will have absolutely zero noise, though.
  3. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    i've tried many different cables (including good ones), and it still hisses...
    and i've tried it at home, where its really quiet and where there's no 'external' noise source - eg, flourescent lights, etc...
    and i hav to remind you that the hum is pretty bad, even when treble and/or presence is at 12 o'clock
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You might have a defective unit. I have never known either of mine to be this way. You might want to get it checked out.
  5. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I don't have the SansAmp, but you may care to check:
    * Gain (if you've got the output low into a high-gain amp, you'll get "hissing")
    * Post-EQ (I just read earlier that cutting EQ at 10KHz kills the hiss, but leaves the bass...)
  6. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

When you say output low into high-gain amp, do you mean using a device not a maximum volume (lets say my bass), into another device (lets say my amp), and using my amp to increase the volume instead of increasing the volume on my bass? I try to keep my volume up all the way on the bass, and use my power amp to adjust volume.

I also get the hissing sound, but I think it's more from bad cables for me, or maybe dirty power. When I mute my bass from the tuner (chained first), the hiss is gone.
  7. Sounds like you may need to shield your bass.........
  8. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    I have the same problem with my BDDI... bad hiss when treble/presence/drive are above 12 o'clock
  9. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I run my BDDI controls at 12 o'clock almost all the time - fat tube preset - and have no problem.
  10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have three settings:

1. All controls at 12:00 except blend all the way up (wet).

2. Same as 1 but with the presence cranked so the indicator is parallel to line below it.

3. Same as 2, but with the drive at about 1:30.

With all settings I get no hiss through a mixer into headphones. This is in a very noisy basement. Multiple computers and serious RF problems if shielding is not good.
  11. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    i've heard the new sansamps (the ones with the battery compartment doors and additional pad switches) have more powerful preamps - is this true and cud this be part of the issue?

i usually have drive about 1:00 by the way...
  12. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I use the drive in my RBI at 1 o'clock too. But I always keep an eye on the presence and blend controls. High settings not only bring up noise sometimes but they bring very annoying harshyness to the sound. Keep them controlled. Also, if you're using a power supply instead of a battery, use a decent one as a crappy one is likely to be a source of noise too.