sansamp n active basses?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vic_6, Oct 13, 2005.

1. sansamp + active bass

5 vote(s)
  2. sansamp + passive

3 vote(s)
  3. both

17 vote(s)
  1. vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    any of you sansamp users use it with an active bass?

it kinda seems unnecessary when you have an active bass. or is it just as usual, as subjective thing?

a recent thread mentioned that the sansamp seems to be pro j basses. would you say that it's pro passive too?
  2. The Sansamp is much more than a's a DI, a cab emulator, an overdrive stomp......pretty much becoming a standard piece of "must own" gear.
  3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I love the way it works on the sound of my active bass. No problems there.

I think the SABDDI is a great piece of kit. My only observation is that how well it works does depend on the bass in question. There's a fair amount of flexibility in the settings available but, through experimenting with a number of instruments through the same SABDDI and amp, I came to the conclusion that it works much better with some instruments than others (I'm happy to say it works great with all of mine but I didn't find settings that seemed to make a worthwhile enhancement to the sound on a a couple of others).

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have the BDDI and I have an RBI on the way. I use active and passive basses with the BDDI, but I don't use the BDDI in conjunction with another preamp. For my purposes, it works best when taking the place of a preamp.

In other words, instead of running my bass into the BDDI, then into the preamp section of an integrated amp, I run the BDDI directly into the power amp section.
    Otherwise, things can get "overcolored" or even muddy.

When doing this, I've never had a problem using an active bass with it.

By the way, I liked mine so much that it prompted me to get the RBI to replace my Trace Elliot preamp in one of my rack setups.
  5. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm gonna try bypassing the preamp on my Trace head...I use a programmable sansamp through the preamp on my Trace but I run the eq flat.

It works great with both passive or active electronics. The programmable is cool, I have it set up where one channel is different specifically for my active bass.
  6. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Sansamp can make any bass -active or passive- sound better.