Sansamp noise/static.. Contact cleaner?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dlenaghan, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I've been using a '92 Sansamp at the beginning of my chain for years now, and it's starting to develop what I'd call a sort of static hiss that seems related to the Presence control. That knob's begun to develop noise when adjusted, but there is clear noise - not the emulated sort the pedal is famous for - that I have located specifically in the sansamp, at any level (though less at lower levels), at any setting of the switches. I never notice it at practice and high volumes, only when the volume's down.

Think contact cleaner will take care of this?

2. hairyampdroolin

hairyampdroolin

Sep 17, 2011
    Could do, get a contact cleaner with lubricant.

3. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    Which SansAmp? The Bass Driver or the Classic with the dip switches? If it's a Classic you should be able to get to the pot by opening up the pedal. If it's a Bass Driver you will probably not be able to get to the pot and should consider contacting us for the repair. It's usually just a small charge unless the circuit board needs to be replaced. TECH 21 - SUPPORT

We recommend using DeoxIT Home for cleaning.

4. Sweet! Record time for customer support!

It's one of the originals that you reissued as the Classic. One of the reasons I've been reluctant to fiddle with it before asking was fear of messing it up, considering the relative rarity and expense of the pedal these days.

If I get a little too much DeoxIT in there, it's not going to mess up anything, is it? Eg, corrosion?

I really appreciate the feedback. Why don't you guys re-reissue it? They're so popular, it'd be a sure-fire seller..

5. I'm curious - is there a specific Deoxit that you'd recommend? I'm going through their PDF spec list right now... it's a lot to choose from.

6. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    The Caig DeoxIt D5 is what we use. You should be able to find it on Amazon. You can't really hurt anything if you spray too much but it can be messy so try to be judicious when spraying it.

We do have plans to reissue the Classic again but it probably won't happen until next year.

7. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Another +1 for Deoxit - though be aware it tends to wash away the 'lube' in the wiper so the control goes very light (they sell a separate lube but I'm not sure how you're supposed to apply it!)

8. Thanks fort all the input - though I'm curious, what do you mean by 'light'? Like there's no sense of resistance when you turn the knob?

9. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Yep exactly. I guess this is the solution:

DeoxIT® Fader F-Series

But I can't afford that :)

10. I had an issue with my Tech 21 Bass Compactor and they told me to send it back to them and they'd look at it. It cost about $40 plus shipping, but they fixed the issue (the pedal was out of warranty). So it might be an option to contact them about it, since its a lot more affordable than a new pedal. I have a Sans Amp of about the same age and its one fantastic piece of equipment and I haven't had a single issue with it.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021