1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sansamp or tonehammer?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 0175westwood29, Apr 13, 2010.

1. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    looking into adding a bit of grit on some songs in my band.

both of these can do it but what would you guys go with?

also is it worth trying to get a rack mount version of the sansamp

andy

2. Are you looking for a tone shapper or an OD (for some grit)?

If you are locked on those two options I would definitely go with the tonehammer.

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    The ToneHammer is going to inject less of it's own vibe into the tone of your current rig while still giving you the ability to adjust the tone with it's 3-band EQ.

The SansAmp is going to inject it's own vibe into your town no matter what you do... it's what it does. Some like it... some hate it. I'm one that doesn't want a pedal deciding what my basses and rig sounds like.

4. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    Yeah ToneHammer, but not so much what you are describing. If grit is what you are going for, find an overdrive pedal. The ToneHammer/Sansamp is more of a preamp/DI. If you have a passive bass or need a DI then check these out, but find out how others are using these pedals. Good Luck!

5. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    Yes agreed!

6. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    well im finding all the od i try im not that fond of. and are a bit to savage for what i want.

just looking to some dirt and i know alot of people use a sansamp for it? ie rob from metallica. probs looking for the slightest bit of drive on the dirty signal.

andy

7. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    The Sansamp is really best at mild overdrive but it will still tend to take over your tone, if you want that kind of tone it's great. You might getter more flexible results from the VT Bass or Blonde pedals. The only real way to find out is to try them out.

8. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    maybe you want a way Huge Pork Loin or a VTBass or an EBS MicrobassII...

I use a pigtronix OFO disnortion.

9. John S

John S

Sep 5, 2009
    Georgia
    I own the RBI and Tone Hammer.
    The Tone Hammer is my favorite. There is a clarity that allows you to hear the voice of each bass you play through it. TH works much better for slap/pop, and the sweep on the mid is very useful. I've even used it as the preamp for my Genz Benz Shuttle 9.
    I like using the TH when I can't bring in an amp, and have a small amount of time to dial in a tone for the particular room/PA system.

The RBI creates a nice fat tube tone with a passive Fender, but it doesn't like my Alembic at all. The slaps are really sharp and aggressive, almost painful.

10. +1 on the Pork Loin

It's my main OD.

11. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    The Tonehammer has a permanent place on my pedal board. ....FWIW.

12. Tone Hammer!

13. The 'blend' knob on the BDDI is your friend ~ mine in no way takes over my tone