Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sansamp Para Driver DI vs. Bass Driver DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vesterbass, Mar 19, 2006.

1. vesterbass

vesterbass

May 30, 2005
    Whats the difference? The additional MID control is the most obvious difference, but does anyone out there have an opinion on sound quality? I have the Bass Driver, which I feel drains part of my tone, especially the mids.

2. vesterbass

vesterbass

May 30, 2005
    P.S. How does the Sansamp RBI rackmount version compare?

3. I bought a Para DI specifically to overcome the sucked mids of the Bass Driver DI.

....it didn't. :(

The mid knob seems to be at a completely different frequency to the mids that are sucked by the Blend knob. On top of that, as soon as you boost the mids, they begin to overdrive. This is by design - it refers to it in the manual.

Anyway, I sold it, because I discovered I could overcome it using my Bas Driver DI by rolling the bass and treble right off (really) and backing the blend off a little.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the para driver has adjustable mid frequency, so you can choose what mid freq you can boost and thus counteract the sucked mids. I found it made all the difference in the world.

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    +1. And about the OD effect of the mid: I've found that it only does that from 750Hz position and below. I've also found that on and below 200Hz it adds volume as well. I'd suggest to anyone that you decrease the Gain a little back from 12 and it cleans right up :D

Oh, and I've found that it tends to "hollow" out your sound if you don't run you tone knob for full treble (on a passive anyway...). I've also found that mid doesn't need that much of a boost before sounding "sqeeky". That said though, even just running bass->PDDI can give you a lot of sounds.

Personally, if you stick the mid shift around 1 to 2 o'clock you get the bonus of the mid acting like the Presence on the BD!

IMO the PDDI shoud become the new "standard" SansAmp, over the BDDI

6. Maybe if it was programmable...

7. Bump for some more, different opinions.

8. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Ya, that would make it better...